Change DHCP scope
I am considering changing our DHCP scope. And is wondering what the best way to change the scope is? Is it just to change the scope when nobody is logged on the system and the next day everybody will get a new IP?/Lasse
November 2nd, 2010 3:39am

Hi, Do you want to extend your ip address pool or want to use a complete new subnet of ip addresses? In first case you can just change the address pool on the existing scope, otherwise you can create a complete new scope now on and do not activate it. Configure it as needed and when you are ready de-activate your current scope and activate the new scope. You should look at the lease duration on your current scope if this is to long it can happen clients won't do a new request and hold there old ip address.Regards Ronny
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2010 4:36am

I want to move the IP pool within the same subnet. I was thinking about just changing our current pool, at a time where no users are at work, and the next day they would receice the new addresses. If I change the lease duration will that force a new DHCP request from the users?/Lasse
November 2nd, 2010 4:46am

There will be no problem whenever you do that, devices will keep there ip address until they do a new request this is normally at 50% of you lease duration, or at startup. So if your duration is at the default 8 days it could take up to 4 days before a new request is given. But if the address are in the same subnet but just another pool it won't matter and just take some time, if you want to speed up decrease the lease duration, but don't set it to short it increases network traffic.Regards Ronny
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2010 4:56am

Out lease duration is set to 3 days, a bit low in my opinion, normally I would say 7 days. I have just extended the scope to go from x.x.x.55 to x.x.x.179, and I should without problems be able to change from x.x.x.55 to x.x.x.100, so the scope is x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.179. Thanks for the help./Lasse
November 2nd, 2010 7:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics