Certificate version question
I've just discovered that there are parts of the Microsoft infrastructure - specifically in my case NPS - that do not support V3 templates, i.e. those specified as a Windows Server 2008 Enterprise template. I've just created a revised template, specifying Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, but the certificate issued from that template says that its version is V3, not V2. Is that expected behaviour? If it is, does that mean this certificate will still be incompatible with NPS, etc? Or is there a difference between the template version and the certificate version?
September 6th, 2011 1:38pm

You are mixing up two different objects: NPS does not support version 3 certificate templates. The reason is that the templates implement certificates that use Cryptography next generation (CNG) - ie SHA2 signatures, elliptical curve for assymetric crypto The CA issues certificates based on certificate templates. In all cases (version 1, version 2, or version 3) of certificate templates, the resulting certificates are version 3 certificate templates (based on RFC 5280). Brian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2011 2:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics