Catch-22: Convert RAID1 from MBR to GPT but then BMR coverts back to MBR

So I want to upgrade my Dell R220 from (2) 500GB HDD in a RAID 1 to (2) 4TB HDD in a RAID 1, but I know I need to change the from MBR to GPT to get full use of the 4TB virtual disk.  The steps I took:

- I was able to successfully create a Bare Metal Recovery (BMR) image using Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2008 R2 and save that image to an external disk.

- Then removed the (2) old drives and installed the (2) new drives in the server

- Successfully created a new virtual disk in RAID 1 with my Perc H310 RAID adapter software at boot-up

- Then booted from a Win Server 2008 R2 DVD, used the command line to install my Perc driver, see the virtual disk, then used diskpart in the cmd console to clean the drive and convert it to GPT.  

- Then was able to successfully recover my BMR image, it loaded, successfully installed and rebooted.

And voila, I ended back at square one with a MBR disk instead of a GPT disc and I can't use the full capacity of my 4TB RAID virtual disc.

Any suggestions?  My last ditch effort is to manually back-up my files, re-install Win Server 2008 R2 with a fresh install,  re-install/restore my ADDS components, re-install various programs, etc.. which is a nightmare.

Thanks for any help or insight!

August 28th, 2015 10:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics