Can’t migrate VM from standalone 2008R2 Hyper-V host onto 2012 Hyper-V cluster using SCVMM 2012 SP1

I need to migrate few VMs from standalone 2008R2 Hyper-V host onto 2012 Hyper-V cluster using SCVMM 2012 SP1. Migrate VM Wizard is telling me that:

The host does not have access to sufficient storage of the requested classification for one or more virtual disks associated with virtual machine <VM_NAME>.

Maybe Im wrong but I dont remember I had this type of problem using SCVMM-2008 when I moved VMs between 2008 hyper-v hosts?!

All our 2008R2 and 20012 Hyper-V hosts are using SAN storage for VMs. It looks like SCVMM-2012 classifies this as Remote Storage. How do you suppose to migrate VMs across different Hyper-V hosts than?!

Thanks in advance.

June 19th, 2013 7:57am

Basically, this error appears if source VM is located on storage that is defined by SCVMM as Remote, meanwhile, the host youre willing to migrate VM to does not have any storage defined as Remote, that being said, it only has access to storage defined as Local. SCVMM doesnt support such scenario.

How do you suppose to migrate VMs across different Hyper-V hosts than?!

With the regards to potential workaround - at the times when default Windows migration doesnt work for me, I always rely on free utility called VeeamZIP. In a nutshell, its nothing but a simple zip utility for virtual machines. So, all I need to do is to zip required VMs first that reside on particular host, and then unzip them on different host.

Its, indeed, a handy tool; might be worth trying.

Kind regards, Leonardo.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 21st, 2013 6:14pm

Moreover, the similar question has recently arisen at Veeam Community Forum as to whether its possible to use Veeam for migrating hyper-v VMs or not; might be worth taking a look:

http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&p=81003

Kind regards, Leonardo.

June 24th, 2013 4:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics