Cant add Windows 8 machine to SCVMM 2012 SP1

Hi,

I've seen some similar posts to this one, but i dont think they're on the version i'm using.

I'm using SCVMM 2012 SP1 (Version 3.1.6.111.0) ...I *think* its the proper release version.

We're trying to add Windows 8 Enterprise clients into it, but get the error: "Install the correct virtualization software on xxxx, or enter a different computer name and then try the operation again" ..

SCVMM 2012 is running on Sever 2012 Enterprise ...I thought the whole 2012/Windows 8 environment was all supported together?

Cheers,

Jon

April 16th, 2013 7:23pm

SCVMM does not manage Windows 8 Hyper-V.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 17th, 2013 7:38am

Is there any way to centrally manage Windows 8 Hyper-V, in the same fashion as SCVMM?

Do you have any more information on this? Is there an article about this anywhere? do you know why it doesnt support it? or is there plans for it to be supported in the future. I thought I remember hearing that SCVMM 2012 SP1 WILL support Windows-8 Hyper-V

Cant help but feel that upgrading (which we have to) is going to be completely detrimental to our operations.

Thanks for your response,

Jon

April 17th, 2013 5:14pm

I'll answer your question by asking in what situation would this be a useful tool? What part of Windows 8 Hyper-V would you want to centrally manage?
April 17th, 2013 6:23pm

Hi Ted,

We have over 100 developers in our office. We previously used Server 2008 R2 for workstations, this way, the Devs could have VM's pushed out in minutes through the old VMM ..we could utilise various templates etc ..

Also - we could move VM's between the machines, and into the cluster as we please ..it was very handy.

Now the Dev's all want Windows 8, but also would like the Hyper-V functionality ..which they now have. The problem, is now we cant easily push templates out, and manage them all from a central location. Some of them need VM's swapped between their machines quickly ...

I dont know if you could suggest a way to manage these like we used to manage our 2008 R2 boxes? otherwise its a step backwards for us,

Kind Regards,

Jon

April 18th, 2013 1:24pm

Hmm.  Is there any reason you wouldn't just keep the virtual machines in a central datacenter location? What's the need for the VM's to be on the actual machines?
April 18th, 2013 6:15pm

We have a new 8 node cluster and new SAN, an old 4 node cluster and old SAN and a high performance management server with RAID local disks which gives us 3 tiers of production environment depending on the requirements of the servers and the cost of the resources.

The devs need, for example, a new development SharePoint farm throwing up within the hour, which we used to be able to do with templates and scripts through old SCVMM ..the VM's have can have a high turnover ..If we move everything into the central location we have, we'd have to constantly keep buying more resources. Everyone in the building has a high end workstation which is enough to run their dev/test VM's.

No doubt MS will tell us we're doing things wrong and not being able to centrally manage Hyper-V is actually a fantastic new feature ..when its clearly going to screw us a bit. 

Do you know if there is any mention at all of this being possible in any future releases? Or why MS didnt take into account that some people may want to centrally manage many Windows 8 Hyper-V's, just as people did with Server 2008 R2?

April 18th, 2013 7:23pm

Unfortunately, I can't speculate on any future features. One thing I did notice though is that you're now comparing features and user experience of a server OS to a desktop OS. If you are expecting the same experience that you got with Server 2008 R2, why not just install Server 2012?

April 18th, 2013 8:01pm

Personally I would prefer to stick with the Server OS ..I run 2008 R2 as my workstation ...I find Server OS' much more stable, they happy to stay up longer and comes with less features I'm not likely to use ...

Unfortunately, our devs disagree, and what they want ....they get 

April 19th, 2013 10:22am

Well I think your rebuttal to their want is that it just won't work. If you truly can't house what they need in the datacenter, then I guess Server 2012 on the workstations is your only option.
April 20th, 2013 7:27pm

Like Jon, we'd find this useful too with Dev team.  We could deploy our collaboration environment (word, mail, non admin priviledges etc) to their machines and then deploy dev VM environments to the workstation laptops remotely without them needing Admin access to the laptop.  However now I will have to deploy a server O/S to the dev laptops, and deploy instead a VM of the office environment which may mean I have additional costs for SCVMM as the use no longer fits under MSDN licensing.
May 17th, 2013 3:17pm

Yes, I agree it will be good to have this feature to SCVMM. We have app controller in the environment and it will be great if developers can create their own virtual machines from templates on their workstations with windows 8. Why using 8 instead of of server 2012. Many devs have laptops and it is hard to get all the hardware working properly on server 2012. Also power management is better on windows 8 and many more reasons to have windows 8 on the workstations instead of windows server 2012. So after all it will be great to have the option to add windows 8 as a hyper-v hosts in SCVMM!
July 31st, 2013 8:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics