Cannot zip the files

I have a SQL server 2008 installed on a windows 2008.

We have some archived databases backup files saved on the disk.

I would like to compress it to save some space. But when I right click the database, and select send to compressed folder, I got a warning :

Windows cannot create the compressed folders here. do you want to be placed on the desktop instead?

No, I don't want it to put it to desktop.

Why I got the message, how can I fix it?

THanks

November 30th, 2012 7:44pm

Hello, 

I suggest you check below points one after the other.Once you satisfy these two, try to compress folders again.

• Do you have write & modify permissions to the folder where compressing folders ?
  • Have you had enough disk space to create compressed/zip files inside the folder/drive? What I mean for example when you compress a testfolder, it createstestfolder.zip at the same place where testfolder resides.So we need additional disk space to store testfolder.zip. 

>>>>>>Windows cannot create the compressed folders here. do you want to be placed on the desktop instead? 

Use different folder location/share instead of desktop.                                                                     

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 1st, 2012 7:48pm

Hi,

did you execute the Explorer process via RunAsAdmin ?
Does the user account you are using, have the necessary Windows permissions in the folder where the database files reside?

December 1st, 2012 9:34pm

Agree with the above replies, this is a permission issue. Make sure your account has required permission to write to the directory.
December 2nd, 2012 7:54am

I am the administrator of the box, and we have enough space on the drive.

And I tried to run windows explorer as admin and then send to compressed folder, I got the same result.

I tried other drives, same thing:

"Windows cannot create the compressed folder here. Do you want it to be placed on the desktop instead?'

Thanks

December 3rd, 2012 4:27pm

Hello,

Being administrator of the server does not mean you have full rights on SQL folders, can you double-check the permissions of the account you use when navigationg on this folder ? In Properties of folder, Security tab, Advanced button, Effective Permissions tab, Select... button, enter the account you use and click OK, then the effective permissions show up. At least you will know it's not a NTFS security issue for sure ..

Regards
Julien

December 6th, 2012 11:16am

Thanks, I follow your instruction, checked the effective permissions, it has full controll.

So it seems still not making sense.

December 6th, 2012 4:52pm

Do you have FSRM (File Server Resource Manager) installed on your box?

If it is enabled check whether zip files are allowed or not.

December 7th, 2012 1:42am

Thanks, I checked, we don't have that installed.

Actually I check a couple of other two servers, I cannot send to compressed folder either. we are uisng windows server 2008R2 stanard, sp1

December 7th, 2012 5:05pm

have you set a restriction for certain file types?

How to Restrict File Types in a Group Policy Folder

http://www.ehow.com/how_7765907_restrict-types-group-policy-folder.html#ixzz2ERQZtJK4

have you tried copying a zip file to the sql box from other machines? 

try copying a zip file from other box to the sql server check whether you will get an access denied error.

December 8th, 2012 6:54am

I come across this issue too regularly... and mostly use the following workaround:

- Create a new folder (I usually do this in the root of the drive I am working on)

- Copy (or move) the files to be zipped into this folder

- Zip away

- Move to wherever you want the zip to go, and clean up after yourself (delete the folder you created)

October 11th, 2013 4:12pm

Thanks, this worked for me too. 

I'm not sure why the permissions for SQL folders don't allow access to create ZIP folders.  I am both local and domain administrator, and I get the same issue, even after checking the file and folder permissions.  I wish someone would be able to truly resolve/explain this instead of forcing the use of work-arounds.

Regards,

Diane.

March 6th, 2015 12:17pm

Thanks, this worked for me too. 

I'm not sure why the permissions for SQL folders don't allow access to create ZIP folders.  I am both local and domain administrator, and I get the same issue, even after checking the file and folder permissions.  I wish someone would be able to truly resolve/explain this instead of forcing the use of work-arounds.

Regards,

March 6th, 2015 4:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics