Cannot use alternate source address with pathping on win2003 server
I have a windows 2003 server and I have a subnet of IP's configured on one of the nics. For test purposes, I am trying to ping another machine on my network using one of the alias IP's. (ie, I have host ip's x.x.x.2-x.x.x.254 all configured on one interface, and I want my ping packet to appear to be coming from, say, x.x.x.15 rather than x.x.x.2, the default). I noticed that there is an option to pathping - -i which is the source address to specify. When I try to use the -i option, and I use TCPDUMP on the server I am pinging, it appears to be coming from the primary IP on the machine, not from the alternate IP I specify with the -i switch. If I were to specify -i x.x.x.15, the packet still appears on the server I am pinging to be coming from x.x.x.2. Why is this? Is there another native win2003 app which will support what I want to do? Any workarounds?
November 26th, 2010 10:08pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. Could you post the default gateway setting on that host here? You may refer to the article below to understand the mechanism that how Windows works with multihomed , for windows server 2003 you may refer to paragraph “Windows XP behavior”: Source IP address selection on a Multi-Homed Windows Computer http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2009/04/24/source-ip-address-selection-on-a-multi-homed-windows-computer.aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 29th, 2010 10:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics