Cannot upgrade win 2008 Standard to 2008 Ent. Virtual machine Certificate server
Hi Guys I have a win2008 std certificate server (Virtual Machine HyperV). New build. I found that some of the features I want like online responder I need the enterprise addition installed. I tryed to install Win 2008 Ent by booting Virtual machine and running setup (ISO). Unfortunatly it keeps returning the error. "windows cannot continue installation because it cannot restart the computer. Close any programs and restart. " Which I have tried tried 3 times. Anyone have any idea how to get this to work. Craig
November 16th, 2010 2:10am

Hello, if i understand you correct you choose the setup.exe from within Windows server SE logged on as the adminstrator? If yes please boot the VM with the .iso added to it and choose the upgrade option instead of fresh install.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 16th, 2010 7:56am

Hi Meinolf Thanks for the reply. I had already tried your suggestion and it only gives me the fresh install option. With a message that if I want to upgrade that I need to run setup from within windows. Craig
November 16th, 2010 10:07pm

Hi, Have you tried to boot the computer into Safe Mode to perform the same test? Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 18th, 2010 1:50am

Hi. I managed to fix the problem. I notice that if I tried to run upgrade twice in a row without reboot it reported that it could not update folder $windows.~ls.temp on the second attempted only. I had assume this was because it failed it first upgrade. So I rebooted the server. Renamed. $upgrade.~OS, $windows.~BT, $Windows.~LS. Right Clicked Setup and selected Runas administrator. Followed the prompts and selected upgrade. Then came back and check the system laster to find it had upgrade without an issue. I assume there was an issue with my first upgrade and I need to clean up these folder before a sucessful backup could complete. As an added note looks like I had to reinstall Hyper-V Intergrated features. Now all I need to do is get my Certificate server online responder working and VPN certificates and I will be happy. Craig
November 18th, 2010 4:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics