Cannot see other Server on same workgroup
I have two dedicated servers on local lan Workgroup (no domain controller) : they have same workgroup "Workgroup", same ip mask "255.255.255.0" IP address same on first 6 numbers I have activated file sharing etc. but I can't access the other pc. When I do IPConfig I can there they do not have same default gateway. Is this the reason ? Why if yes, how to fix this (knowing I am renting these servers on a hosting service so I don't have physical control on them).
June 7th, 2011 1:34pm

No, it is not a default gateway problem. The default gateway is only used to contact machines in a different IP subnet. If they are on the same network and in the same IP subnet they communicate directly using hardware (MAC) addressing. If you are using netmask 255.255.255.0, the first three octets of the IP address must be the same. Only the last octet can vary.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 8th, 2011 5:07am

Hi alainbnn, Thanks for posting here. What’s the windows version running on both computers ? If you can confirm both hosts are on same subnet, make sure Computer Browser service has also been started up and also make sure the startup type has been configured to automatic. If you will also need to turn on File and Printer Sharing in the Network and Sharing Center if are using Windows server 2008 or above version. Appendix C – Computer Browser Service http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726989.aspx Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 8th, 2011 9:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics