Cannot see computer list in the Active directory
Hi, I have a Windows 2003 standard server with 60 users. When i open AD through Start > administrative tools > Active directory users & computers In the computer folder under the domain name, i can't see my list of computer names. How ever I noticed that when i open AD in the Exchange server, I can see the list of computers. (Start > All prgrams >Microsoft Exchange server > active directory users & computers) Any reason for this? Thanks
November 23rd, 2010 8:03am

Hello, if you search for a computername, rightclick the domain name and choose "find", switch to computers and type a machine name, is it found? Is Exchange installed on the DC or is it an additional server? Are there multiple DCs?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 23rd, 2010 8:14am

Computer objects do not need to be in the cn=Computers container. As Meinolf noted you can use the Find feature of ADUC. You can also select Computers in the find box and find all computers. Unfortunately, this does not tell you where the objects are located in AD. However, you can double click any of the computer names in the list to view properties. On the "Object" tab of the properties dialog you can see the "Canonical name" of the computer object, which indicates where the object resides in AD. Richard MuellerMVP ADSI
November 23rd, 2010 11:12am

I have a second DC on the network (2008). Yes Exchange installed on the 2003 server. Tried to find the computer in the 2003 server but not found. But I can see the computer list on the second DC under computers. So I dont think I need to worry about this right? Another small questions, Why I can't see group policies editor in the second (2008) DC? when I rigth click & go to properties of the DC, I can't see GP edit option there. Thanks
November 24th, 2010 5:39am

Hello, you have to start Gropup policy management console from the Administrative tools, that is the way it is handled in Windows server 2008 / Windows Vista and higher OS version. The way you described is removed. On the DC with the problem logoff as the user account and use another administrative one to logon, then deleted the user PROFILE folder to see if maybe some corruption in the profile is the reason for the not shown complete objects.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 24th, 2010 7:05am

Hello, you have to start Group policy management console from the Administrative tools, that is the way it is handled in Windows server 2008 / Windows Vista and higher OS version. The way you described is removed. On the DC with the problem logoff as the user account and use another administrative one to logon, then deleted the user PROFILE folder to see if maybe some corruption in the profile is the reason for the not shown complete objects. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 24th, 2010 7:06am

Thanks for the info. As I can see the computer list on teh 2008 DC shall I leave like that? Thanks
November 24th, 2010 8:00am

Hello, personal i would always try to fix it. But it depends on you. At least use the support tools and check for errors in the domain: dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:dcname >c:\dcdiag.txt netdiag /v >c:\netdiag.txt [from each DC, netdiag may work but isn't supported with Windows server 2008 and don't run on Windows server 2008 R2] repadmin /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite >c:\repl.txt (if more then one DC exists) dnslint /ad /s "DCipaddress" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321045)Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 24th, 2010 8:11am

Thanks, I ran the diag commands. Is there any place I can upload the result files So you can have a look? Thanks
November 24th, 2010 12:46pm

Hi, Thanks for update. Could you perform custom search on windows server 2003 host with LDAP query command “ (objectclass=computer) ” and check if the computers objects would be listed. For more information please refer to the link below: LDAP Query Basics http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996205(EXCHG.65).aspx Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 24th, 2010 10:11pm

Is there any place I can upload the result files So you can have a look? Hello, Windows Sky Drive with your LiveID.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 25th, 2010 6:13am

Thanks, I have uploaded the output files to here : http://cid-52518e884d3fc009.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public Thanks
December 3rd, 2010 5:07am

Hello, server02 is multihomed, 2 NICs with different ip addresses: Adapter [00000007] HP NC382i DP Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter: MAC address is 78:E7:D1:E8:B0:E6 IP address: 10.1.1.140, fe80::342b:10e0:1f6e:2ae4 DNS servers: 10.1.1.10 (server01.oia.local.) [Valid] Adapter [00000008] HP NC382i DP Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter: MAC address is 78:E7:D1:E8:B0:E8 IP address: 10.1.1.141, fe80::b429:f5b4:b70a:10bc DNS servers: 10.1.1.10 (server01.oia.local.) [Valid] This is not recommended configuration and should be removed, use only one ip address instead. After the change delete the second one form the DNS zones and run ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns and restart the netlogon service or reboot the DC. Where is the second delegation on server01 for, different ip range: TEST: Delegations (Del) Delegation information for the zone: oia.local. Delegated domain name: _msdcs.oia.local. DNS server: server01.oia.local. IP:10.1.1.10 [Valid] DNS server: server01.oia.local. IP:5.221.119.37 [Valid] Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
December 3rd, 2010 5:37am

IP address: 10.1.1.141, fe80::b429:f5b4:b70a:10bc There are 02 network cards for the server(redundant). Sorry what you meant by delete the second one? How should I apply the redundancy with 02 network cards? These 02 network cards are set up to get IP address from the dhcp server (server01) automatically but I have reserved these 02 IP s only for the server02 netwrok cards (in DHCP). DNS server: server01.oia.local. IP:5.221.119.37 [Valid] This is ok - is for the VPN. Many Thanks for looking for this. regards Milindra
December 6th, 2010 10:10am

Hello, redundancy for NICs is called teaming and some hardware vendors have special software for it, so HP has teaming software, therefore use the SmartStart disk and check for the support pack included within. If the teaming software is already installed here is a small how to for configuration: http://www.howtonetworking.com/networking/nicteam1.htm As far as i can see the way still the same as the last years. Make sure to use FAILOVER for the team as Load balancing is not supported from Microsoft for domain controllers NICs. With deleting i mean to remove the not longer used ip address from the Forward/Reverse lookup zones and all other DNS settings where it maybe is listed, so that only one ip address for the server is used.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
December 6th, 2010 11:45am

Thanks & the instructions on the teaming the network card helped for that. Apart from that there is no problem pn the log I suppose? Thanks
December 9th, 2010 7:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics