Cannot repair or uninstall SQL Server 2008 after upgrading windows 7 to windows 10

Dear MS,

I'm a developer, I installed SQL Server 2008 in Windows 7 locally. Then, my Ms SQL Server 2008 cannot connect or repair or uninstall after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Before Upgrading, the Windows 10 advisor didn't warning me about this.

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10:

- When I use SQL Server Management Studio to connect to SQL server, this app is halted with "not response".

- After that, I do repair and uninstall SQL Server 2008, both are halted in this windows belowed:

I searched in MSDN and knew that SQL server is not supported for Windows 10. So, How could I solve this trouble to remove SQL Server 2008 completely?

Thanks for all.

Phan Tng

• Edited by Phan Tùng Sunday, August 30, 2015 4:34 PM
August 30th, 2015 4:32pm

Hello,

SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 are not supported on Windows 10. Please read the following support article for more information:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2681562

Try to manually uninstall SQL Server using the following steps:

1. Uninstall all SQL Server components you can using Control Panel -> Programs and Features

2. Backup the registry.

3. Delete the following keys in regedit:

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server.

5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server.

6. Rename all the SQL Server folders in the computer like C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server and subfolders.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2015 4:47pm

Hi Alberto,

It worked. But now, after I finish removing SQL Server 2008 completely and then I install new SQL Server 2014, the installation continues to be halted.

Halted when install SQL Server 2014 on Windows 10

It's the same fault with SQL Server 2008 when repairing.

What the matter with this?????

Thanks.

September 2nd, 2015 1:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics