Cannot repair or uninstall SQL Server 2008 after upgrading windows 7 to windows 10

Dear MS,

I'm a developer, I installed SQL Server 2008 in Windows 7 locally. Then, my Ms SQL Server 2008 cannot connect or repair or uninstall after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Before Upgrading, the Windows 10 advisor didn't warning me about this.

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10:

- When I use SQL Server Management Studio to connect to SQL server, this app is halted with "not response".

- After that, I do repair and uninstall SQL Server 2008, both are halted in this windows belowed:

I searched in MSDN and knew that SQL server is not supported for Windows 10. So, How could I solve this trouble to remove SQL Server 2008 completely?

Thanks for all.

Phan Tng

August 30th, 2015 12:34pm

Hello,

SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 are not supported on Windows 10. Please read the following support article for more information:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2681562

Try to manually uninstall SQL Server using the following steps:

1. Uninstall all SQL Server components you can using Control Panel -> Programs and Features

2. Backup the registry.

3. Delete the following keys in regedit:

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server.

5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server.

6. Rename all the SQL Server folders in the computer like C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server and subfolders.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2015 12:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics