Cannot place HA VM on SMB file share after installing rollup update 5

Hello!

We've just installed Update Rollup 5 for VMM 2012 R2, and now we can't place clustered VMs on shares on the scale out file server. Shares have green sign in "File shares" tab of cluster properties, but they [shares] just not shown in list of avaliable locations in "Select destination folder" dialog. But when I place non-highly avaliable VM on the same host - I can choose SMB share as a location.

I've noticed, that everything works in VMM Console without rollup update 5 installed, so it looks like a bug in updated console. Is this a known issue?

I also have another question regarding this rollup update and scale out file server: there is a "Cluster nodes" tab in the properties of file server. List of nodes is empty after update. Although, text above the list says: "On one or more nodes, agent installations is pending. Click Add to see the node list".

When I click Add - I see my cluster nodes in list, and when I add these nodes - they a added with "Pending cluster addition" status. But they are already in this cluster. So, I don't know is it safe to press "Ok" in the properties window: will this brake my cluster or everythig should be fine?

Thanks in advance, 
   Dmitry.

February 12th, 2015 8:04pm

Thanks for reporting. 

Let me do some checking and get back to you shortly.

thanks

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 17th, 2015 11:49pm

Hi,

It is just UI bug. Should be working with PowerShell. Hotfix is expected soon to be released.

February 18th, 2015 6:21am

Hi,

It is just UI bug. Should be working with PowerShell. Hotfix is expected soon to be released.

February 18th, 2015 9:21am

And here's the fix from Microsoft: 

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3039296/en-us?sd=rss&spid=13859

-kn

February 19th, 2015 9:49am

Hello All,

I have observed that after applying the UR 5, the SCVMM 2012 R2 is not considering the replica VMs as replica VMs.

Prior to the installation of UR 5, SCVMM was not allowing me to associate the Replica VMs to the Cloud. All of my primary VMs were already associated with the Cloud when I had UR 4 installed (before applying the UR 5).

Whenever I tried to associate any replica VM with the cloud and right-click on the VM, then the Properties tab was inactive/disabled.

But after applying the UR 5, I observed that SCVMM is allowing me to associate all my replica VMs with the cloud. So I immediately associated all my replica VMs with my Private Cloud. I don't know if I had done this right or made a mistake.

Therefore, I think the after applying the UR 5, SCVMM is not understanding the replica VMs.

Can anyone please advise?

Best regards,

Hasan

February 19th, 2015 9:50am

Thanks, Kristian!

It works now.

February 19th, 2015 10:05am

Hi, 

Has this fix been pulled or do I need to contact MS Support for it, as while it displays a link for the download, it states there are no downloads available when you agree to the terms.

This is my second weekend of grief from System Centre updates, last weekend DPM, this weekend VMM. 

Thankfully I don't need the updates required for the rest of the SC suite for another month.

Jas :)

February 21st, 2015 4:43pm

Please hold off. Microsoft will release more than one hotfix that you can apply at once to minimize downtime:

https://cloudadministrator.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/install-smb-share-scvmm-2012-r2-ur5-ui-hotfix/

February 22nd, 2015 2:12pm

Hi folks,

Hotfix has been republished :

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3039296

there are other hotfixes in it related to ASR. Instructions are in KB.

February 24th, 2015 6:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics