Cannot mount ISO file in Windows Server 2012

For some reason I cannot mount an ISO file in Win Server 2012? The server does not seem to recognize that it is an ISO file and wants me to tell it how to open. How can I resolve this? Please advise and thanks in advance.

October 30th, 2013 2:53pm

Right click the .iso file and then choose properties. CLick the change button next to "opens with" and choose Windows Explorer as the default program. Now when you right click the .iso file, mount will be one of the options.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 30th, 2013 3:04pm

The only time I have had an issue with this is when I had an incomplete file copy\download.  If the ISO was downloaded, confirm the file size is correct.  With the win8.1 isos I got a number of incomplete isos ,even though the browser said it had completed successfullly.  Using a download manager solved that problem.

Your mileage may vary.

October 30th, 2013 5:41pm

Hi,

Based on my research, it is possible to mount an ISO file without any third-party software installed in Windows server 2012 and Windows 8.

In general, if you have downloaded the ISO file on your computer, you just need to right-click it and select Mount ISO from the menu.

Maybe it is due to the flag that is set on the ISO file which makes it unable to mount. I recommend you make a copy of the ISO file and place it anywhere then mount it to see if the issue persits.

For more detailed information, please refer to the link below:

Mount a VHD or ISO File in Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8

http://www.petri.co.il/mount-vhd-iso-file-windows-server-2012.htm

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best regards,

Susie

October 31st, 2013 9:47am

Get a proper disk mounter for Windows.

Had the same problem and it seems that the built in tool is probably sensitive to where the iso resides and on what medium.

In my case I have a trial install of W2012R2 installed in Virtual Box that resides on my main server andthe iso is in a shared library between the Host and Guest.

With daemon tools lite there was no problem, there are many other tools that probably would have  worked just as well.

October 28th, 2014 7:55am

That's right. Thanks! I had this issue after installing VMware. Choosing to open an ISO with Windows Explorer fixed it permanently.
August 16th, 2015 10:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics