Cannot map drives with net use command
Just installed a new Windows 2008R2 file server in our network to replace an aging Netware file server. Transferred all files/folders/etc to it and all other servers & workstations can see and map to the shares except for our Citrix XenApp 5 server, running on Windows 2008. By default, we have drive mappings being applied with simple batch command scripts that are set in AD. When a user logs into the Citrix server, the scripts execute, but the "net use g: \\server1\vol1" command fails and returns the following: System Error 67 has occurred. The network name cannot be found. I can ping "server1" from the Citrix server and it responds. A few times I've been able to use "net use g: \\server1.domain\vol1" and it works, but it isn't consistent. Any ideas as to what is happening? Really driving me crazy and the folks that rely on Citrix for connectivity are getting restless. Bill
June 22nd, 2010 10:41pm

Hi BillClark22 , Thanks for posting here. According your description , when you attempted to mapping a UNC address , you have encounter Error 67 on your server. However this didn’t happened on other server. If I misunderstand please let me know. Error 67 indicate that the UNC address cannot be found, this could be a name resolution issue. 1. Can you access this UNC with IP address? 2. Can you resolve server’s DNS recode? What ‘s the result of “ nslookup server1 ” and “ nslookup server1.domain ” on your Citrix server? Here are the workarounds for you refer: 1. Check if it worked with reinstall TCP/IP, Clients for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks on your Citrix Server. 2. Uninstall NIC and reinstall with latest drivers, loaded and properly configured for your network. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 23rd, 2010 6:10am

Tiger Li, Here's the results of the nslookup commands: C:\Windows\system32>nslookup fdnmain Server: fdnad1.found.xxx.xxx Address: 10.130.222.15 Name: fdnmain.found.xxx.xxx Address: 10.130.222.2 C:\Windows\system32>nslookup fdnmain.found.xxx.xxx Server: fdnad1.found.xxx.xxx Address: 10.130.222.15 Name: fdnmain.found.xxx.xxx Address: 10.130.222.2 All looks well there. I reset the TCP/IP stack and rebooted, then re-added the server IP address and subnet. Even after that, the drives don't get mapped, still get the same error EXCEPT for the first person logged onto the Citrix server. Wierd as it seems, that is the case. The first person on, will get all their drives mapped, after that, no drives are mapped and I can't browse to FDNMain server. I've checked the Citrix License console and it shows 5 out of 15 licenses in use and no errors. I can try the removal of the MS Networks Client, File/Print sharing and the NIC, but I don't think any of that is going to help. Bill
June 23rd, 2010 10:54pm

Hi BillClark22 , Thanks for you feedback. Is there any issue when attempt to mapping share folder which located on other server with using “net use”command ? Please check if it worked with assign domain user account and password parameter when you perform “ net use “. Net use http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490717.aspx Meanwhile , This post appears to be related to Citrix. For peer experience and suggestions, you may also wish to post this issue to the Citrix Forum for future help. http://forums.citrix.com/category.jspa?categoryID=150 Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 24th, 2010 9:28am

Hi BillClark22, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 29th, 2010 4:03am

Was there ever a resolution to this? I have just found this thread while searching for what seems to be a similiar problem we're experiencing with a Windows 7 laptop that refuses to connect to *any* SMB share (three distinct NAS boxes, one on the local network, two somewhat remote, all three accessible from an XP machine using the same credentials). Every attempt to connect via "net use \\NAS\sharename" results in error 53, and a network trace shows that the workstation is not even attempting to use the SMB protocol, instead it only attempts to make an HTTP connection via DAV. Disabling the webdav service and retrying the connection produces "error 67" and no packets go out on the wire. The Win7 machine can resolve the DNS name, can ping the address, can make an HTTP connection to the NAS' administrative interface, but as the NAS does not offer a WebDAV service the client will not connect via DAV. thanks for any assistance, Adrian
November 18th, 2010 11:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics