Cannot logon as domain admin to Windows 2008 Std Server after rename
We recently replaced an older file server with a new server running Windows 2008 Std (x86). Everything was running fine until we renamed as we havevarious apps and jobs that runmapping to thecomputer name. After renaming the server we can no longer logon to the server console or RDC as a domain admin? We can only logon as the local administrator. Though all file shares are accessible to domain users and everything else is working OK? Any thoughts on what we're missing or what needs tobe looked at? Please any help is appreciated as our next step is to wipe this box and go with Windows 2003.
September 23rd, 2008 7:53pm

Were you still part of the domain when you did the name change? everytime i have changed the name of a computer, i would drop it out of the domain first, do the name change, and rejoin the domain. This keeps all the domin passwords and associations with the computers correct, as you create a new computer account.It may be the computer account in the domain is looking for the old computer name, and an account has not been created for this computer name. I would drop it out of the domain, delete the computer acccount, and rejoin the domain. this should fix it.Scotty
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 23rd, 2008 10:08pm

I did this originally, but tried again last night and still no luck with logging in as a domain account. All shares are still accessible and an FTP site that is locked down to a particular domain acct still works without problem. It hangs forever at "Please wait for the User Profile Service", and i let it sit their for 8 hrs and nothing...Anything else you can think of that I can check out? I tried a repair and that did nothing.Thank you,Sean
September 24th, 2008 2:04pm

Hi Sean, According to my experience, the problem could be caused by the existence of the wrong computer account in the AD database. 1. Could you please go to domain controller and verify that the formal computer account of the problematic server is deleted in "Active Directory Users and Computers" console? And also the new computer account is created? If not, please disjoin the server from the domain and then rejoin it to the domain. 2. You may also try to logon the server with the local administrator account, and then install UPH clean service on the problem server, you may create a new domain user account and to check hang issue can be resolved. Download: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en Hope it helps.David Shen - MSFT
September 29th, 2008 9:48am

I thought UPHClean came with Windows 2008? I see the user profile service loaded and started.I did disjoin from the domain, rebooted, and during that time on the DC deleted the computer account.Upon logon to the server as local admin I rejoined the computer to the domain, and rebooted. I checked on the DC and found the new computer account, but still no luck logging on as myself or other accts that should have access.All shares are accessible and the FTP we run for scheduled updates from our ERP are working OK using domain credentials? It's very odd to me at this point. I had loaded Symantec CPS agent, and thinking that this was the last thing I installed I removed and then rebooted but still nothing.
September 29th, 2008 5:12pm

Here's the one error that sticks out in the App Evt Log of the 2008 Server. Hopefully this provides a little more insight to this problem. The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> is taking long time to handle the notification event (Logon).
September 30th, 2008 11:25pm

Hi Sean, 1. Please create a new domain user which does not use roaming profile or other group policy, and then test whether the user can logon to server properly. 2. Please logon the problematic server with local administrator's credential and then create a new user profile to see whether it works. Meanwhile, there is a known compatibility issue with the Symantec Antivirus software driver SRTSP.sys which may be cause this issue. If possible, please disable or uninstall it to see if it works. If the issue still exists, please perform a clean boot on the problematic server to narrow down the issue. Steps: 1. Click Start->Run...->type msconfig and press Enter 2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services. 3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items 4. Click OK and choose Restart 5. After reboot, check whether the problem still occurs Hope it helps.David Shen - MSFT
October 9th, 2008 1:38pm

Dear Sean and DavidI have the same problemWhen I installed server 2008 I promoted that server todomain controller.Some time later I changed the name because of some reasons.After that I got when I wanted to login the notification: "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain controller failed"I tried many things too. In the beginning I was reluctant because it is a domain controller as well. But I also changed back the computername, or I took the server out of the domain and brought it back in again, I replaced computer accounts, I resetcomputer accounts.So far nothing helped. I looked in the knowledgebase of Microsoft but I could not find anything.Hope something works out hereKind regardsHenk
October 14th, 2008 10:37am

Henk,I tried everything multiple times with absolutely no luck. I tried to replicate by doing on my test 2008 Server and of course it would not happen again. In the end I built out a 2003 box and moved the data to this server. Renamed the 2008 box, and did the same things and renamed the 2003 box. I then did a fresh install on the 2008 box and tried to replicate and again it worked fine for me. In the end I never found out the problem or how to fix, and with it being our core server for the company I could no longer wait. Sorry and good luck. Thanks to everyone for their advice on trying to get this fixed.
October 15th, 2008 10:07pm

how in the world did u fix this problem? i deleted my administrator account access, and can no longer check e mail.
October 5th, 2009 4:57pm

can i do this procedure if im not logged in as administrator anymore? im on windows xp
October 5th, 2009 5:00pm

ok i am computer illiterate and i got this used i tried to delete previous owner and when i did it now displays me as a limited user. when i go to control panel administrator is no longer an option icon. it just says change picture or name. it should say change user account type but doesnt. im going crazy here
October 5th, 2009 5:05pm

have you fixed your user account problem?
October 5th, 2009 5:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics