Cannot launch application as normal user
I am currently using Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. Occasionally, I am unable to launch some applications (e.g. Microsoft Word 2010) as normal user. For each time I try to launch the application like this, it opens a new cmd.exe*32 and conhost.exe, which occupy 25% of the CPU (i.e. 1 core out of 4) and would not die unless killed manually. The same application works, however, if I run it as administrator. And after I run it as administrator, normal user will be able to run it too. Would anyone please suggest what is happening/the solution? Thanks a lot!
August 9th, 2011 2:54am

Well, this is very reported issue with Windows 7 x64 bit whenever you run an executable (of 32-bit) using "Run as Administrator". The cause seems to be that user impersonation (conhost.exe) doesn't succeed and there supposed to be a registry fix for that. When this happens again, just have the launched application process (word 2010 in your above example) killing manually and see if Windows reports any relevant errors or details. You may want to ensure that the normal user having the appropriate logon, read and execute permission on the application on that server. You are the Knowledge You have MyWordPress; MyBlogSpot; MyMicrosoft; MyCitrix; MyVMWare; MySymantec; MyLinkedIn; MyFaceBook; MyGReader;
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 9th, 2011 3:25am

Hi Johnson, You could run Process Monitor to catch any file or registry permissions issues. Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2: Console Host http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/10/05/windows-7-windows-server-2008-r2-console-host.aspxRegards, Rick Tan
August 11th, 2011 10:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics