Cannot install Certificate Authority on this server
OS: Server 2008 x64 EnterpriseIssue: Certication AuthorityDeatil: I had to temporarily remove the ADCA role from aserver as part of a AD troubleshooting activity (I backed up the CA and relevant files). This server hosted the Domain Certificate Authority and the Web Enrollment functionality. The Issue I am having is that, now I want to put the AD CA role back on the server, the Add role wizard comes up with the error message "Cannot Install Certification Authority - Certification Authority Cannot be Installed On This Computer". I had read an article on the Technet Support site (KB958670)that mentions this exact error and is related to there still being residual registry entries relating to the CA. I have checked for this and it does not exist in my server's registry, so itis not that.Can anyone help me here?
April 6th, 2009 4:47am

Have you ever changed the server hostname? Or please provide the error code.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2009 11:31am

That's the thing - there is no error code, beyond the message dialog I mentioned before. I suspect it is trying a set of pre-requisite checks for the ADCA viability and finding something it doesn't like (rather than failing in terms of an error or process). The article I cited in the first post (KB958670) describes the issue exactly, it's just not the solution in my case. It would be useful to know exactly what steps are taken by the Server Manager when you select the AD CA option in order for it to validate the feasibility.
April 8th, 2009 12:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics