Cannot get WDS Server to PXE boot pc's to deploy Windows 7

Hi I've searched the topics, but can't seem to find an answer to my particular problem.
I am trying to set up a WDS server to deploy Windows 7 on our network.
I started from scratch, installing Windows server 2008 R2 (Datacenter), I installed the WDS role (including Deployment and Transport Server).   Once installed, added a boot image. We have AD and DHCP on another server on the network. But when I try to PXE boot from a client PC, I get a 'No boot filename received' error.

Are there any other prerequisites needed? In all the the guides I've looked at, they don't say anything else is needed, but none seem to mention anything about PXE itself, is that all installed when WDS is added?

Thanks

Graham

June 2nd, 2011 9:35am

Based on my experience, please check the PXE response settings, please choose "Response to all....", I think the error for this the error "'No boot filename received" may caused by your choose to "Don't response to any client computers".

Thanks

Zero 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 3rd, 2011 5:36am

Hi

Yes, I did select Respond to all. Will post my full steps shortly. Do I need to have Config Manager 2007 installed on the WDS server

Thanks

Graham

June 3rd, 2011 8:05am

OK, so this is what I've done so far:

Added the WDS role to Server 2008 R2 from Server Manager. No other roles installed (DHCP, DNS and AD on another server on the same VLAN). Included both Deployment Server & Transport Server services, in the install.

Once installed, I configured the server throught the WDS Config Wizard:
Chose a drive for the images.
For testing, chose 'Respond to all client computers (known and unknown).
Finished the wizard, and the server started up.

Next, I added the Boot Image from the Windows 7 Install disc (boot.wim), through the wizard.
Then added an install Image through the wizard, from the Windows 7 disc (install.wim). After a little while of checking the install image, the wizard completed successfully.

Now I've tried a network boot and I get the following error:

'PXE-E52: proxyDHCP offers were received. No DHCP offers were received.'

Does anything need adding in DHCP?

Thanks

Graham
June 3rd, 2011 1:28pm

Please check setting "066:TFTP server name.."(as I remembered, it is in "server options") in DHCP server, and make sure it's the server name or IP address of your WDS server.

Thanks,

Zero

June 3rd, 2011 1:40pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried adding both the ip and then the server name, to Server Option 066 (Boot Server Host Name), but i'm still getting the same error.

:-/

June 3rd, 2011 2:26pm

You don't need to modify any DHCP options if WDS and DHCP are on separate servers. Please refer to this TechNet page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732351(WS.10).aspx#BKMK3.

Also, for reference most PXE ROM implementations (the built in code on your clients that starts the PXE boot process) use Proxy DHCP to refer to a PXE server. So if you see a message that says 'PXE-E52: proxyDHCP offers were received. No DHCP offers were received.', that means that WDS responded but the DHCP server did not.

June 3rd, 2011 9:43pm

Hi,

Here is a great step by step guide on Deploying Windows 7.

It is free, you just need to join up.

http://nexus.realtimepublishers.com/awidv.php

Chapter 1 The first  .pdf file is all about how to setup WDS

June 5th, 2011 8:08pm

Did you get a solution to this issue? I am a student and has run into this issue and tried so many suggestions but all in vain.
July 19th, 2015 9:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics