Cannot fax from XP Client to Windows 2008 fax server
Canretrieve faxesfrom the server's outbox and sentitems from the XPclient, but when I attempted to send the fax from Windows XP Pro, the print fax wizard fails to start.Windows 2008 Server 64-bit. Windows 2008 is both a Fax Server and a Domain Server.Tried from Windows XP Pro 32-bit client with both service pack 2 and service 3 installed. The Windows XP clientsare joined to the domain of the Windows 2008 Server. Logging in to the Windows XP client as a domain admin.I have deleted and re-added the Windows 2008 Fax from the Windows XP Printers and Faxes Window.I printed a test document from notepad to the fax printer and nothing happens. The Print Fax Wizard fails to start.I tried to start the wizard directly by double clicking on C:\Windows\System32\fxssend.exe but the executable does not start.If I click the New Fax from the Fax Console, the new fax window does not appear.I can send faxes from the Windows 2008 Server just fine.Just for kicks, I also installed Windows 2008 Small Business Server and joined an XP Pro client to that server and I get the same results.Checking my event log on Windows XPProclientI have two warnings from Microsoft Fax:Event ID: 32026 Fax service failed to initialize any assigned fax devices (virtual or TAPI). No Faxes can be sent or received until a fax device is installedEvent ID: 32068 The outgoing routing rule is not valid because it cannot find a valid device. The outgoing faxes that use this rule will not be routed.Theevents seems to indicate that I need to install a fax modemon the client, but I am trying to send a fax to the server and a fax modem IS installed and working on the Windows 2008 server.I have been working on this issue for a week and I would appreciate any help.
November 25th, 2008 9:55am

OK, I came up with a goofy work around:Windows Start -> Printers and Faxes -> Double Click on the Fax Printer I have shared to the server.On Menu click Tools -> Configure Fax Get the message "There are currently no modems installed on this computer"Click YesCheck "Don't Detect my modem"Click NextSelect Standard 14400 bps modemClick NextSelect COM1Click Next -> OK -> NextEnter your sender informationClick Next -> Next -> Next -> FinishEverything now works as normal except we get an extra prompt to pick the Fax off the Windows 2008 Server again each time we print to thefax.Now I have to figure out what to do about the computers that don't have COM ports.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 25th, 2008 6:46pm

OK, I don't think I have a complete solution. I tried my steps above on another Windows XP Pro sp 2 machine, but the fax wizard still won't start when I print to the server's fax.
December 3rd, 2008 2:42am

Gavin;I have the same exact problem. I have yet to get this to work. I've actually beat my head on a wall over this.Same exact problem. Even if you start the fax console on the xp machine, and look at the FAx Printer Configuration it will stat that you are connected to the Fax Printer on the server.One thing that I might suggest, and I'm trying to remember what I did. I know I used a vista 32bit cd and installed the fax driver inf files off of it, but it still didn't work. I wonder if you can use the fax driver inf files out of xp ?You have to be an admin (obviously) and go to Start -> run \\servername. click on printers and faxes. Right click in that window and do Server Properties. From there Add printer drivers.Ahhhhh ... Sorry: Edit: I found what I was looking for, butI have NOT test this yet;On a32bit machine look in \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prnms002* (This is where Ilooked on a Vista32CD. I had to look inside the compress image). Copy those files to say, C:\fax\x86 on theServer As an Admin, from a command prompt, run: runddll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m "Microsoft Shared FaxDriver" /h "x86" /v "Type 3 - User Mode" /f C:\fax\x86\prnms002.infI have NO idea if theabove works.Let me know your results please. Like I said I used a Vista 32bit and not an XPCD, maybe that was my problem.I'd really like to get this work. Alot of my end users want to fax from their desktops!Thanks!Gary
December 3rd, 2008 11:14pm

Gary, I couldn't locate the files that you referenced.
December 6th, 2008 7:16pm

Hi Gavin,You should get the files from a live Vista x86 machine instead from the DVD.I have the same issue and that doesn't seem to solve the issue :)Regards,Marco.
December 18th, 2008 6:01am

As best I can tell, Windows Vista Business client is required to fax to Windows Server 2008. I installed a product called Snappy Fax and had it working within the hour. I am no longer going to recommend Server 2008 as a faxing platform unless all clients are Vista Business or higher.
December 18th, 2008 7:50pm

Snappy Fax and ActiveFax both work without any problems, and is a breeze to setup.The downfall; They are expensive.I really wish the 2008 fax server that COMES with server 2008 would work with XP Clients. According to Microsoft it does, and they have to post a technote, support faq, or anything of the like on how to get an XP client to work. All they say to do is reference the fax help files. Alot of good that does.I guess this is one way to force XP users into Vista. Unfortunately my business is nowhere near ready for Vista.The one Vista machine we had in house was used to run Autocad 2009. Every few days Autocad would crash, and the only way I could get it to work again was to redo the users profile. Spent countless hours with Autocad, who eventually threw in the towel and told us to downgrade back to XP.You would think, that 2 Microsoft products (Fax client and Fax Server) would work.It really shouldn't be this difficult =(
December 22nd, 2008 4:17pm

First, install faxingusing add/remove programs, windows components in XP. Setup a dummy fax and then delete it from printers.Double click on the sharedfax printer on your 2008 fax server to add that printer to your workstation.On your 2008 server, change the user account that the Fax Service runs under. It defaults to the Network Service account. Change it to the local system account and restart it. This fixed the problem for me.
January 15th, 2009 9:04pm

Use outlook on xp client machin to send fax via fax server.configure account as fax mail transport.
March 17th, 2009 11:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics