Cannot enable or disable Windows update with Command Prompt

Trying to migrate from 2008 to 2012 R2.  I have installed powershell 2.0 and have 40GB of diskspace in my 2008 which is a new install; I did not configure a static IP address for it and it is running on a VM as a bridged network.  

My 2012 server is on bare-metal and I typed the cmdlts:

smigdeploy /package /architecture x86 /os WS08 /path \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\mig

Yes my 2008 is a 32-bit server and "MIG" is the folder I created on my C: drive on my 2008 for the migration package to be deployed, however after typing the cmdlts in my 2012 server I receive this message:

Error: The Windows Server Migration Tools deployment folder could not be created
. Verify that you are logged on by using an account that has permissions to crea
te the folder, that there is sufficient disk space on the destination computer t
o create the deployment folder, and that a file of the same name as folders in t
he specified path does not exist.

Obviously the folder does exist and there is sufficient disk space.  I did share the C: drive in my 2008 and have network discovery on both servers.  Do I need to add my server 2008 to an Active Directory or domain?  My domain for 2008 is "WORKGROUP" while my 2012 has  a static IP in a specified domain.  

Any help would be great.  How do I get the package to deploy?

Thanks in advance.

January 31st, 2014 4:06am

Try to provide permission in the security tab and shared folder with the everyone as full control.

And also make sure you must be a member of the Administrators group on both source and destination servers

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2014 4:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics