Cannot edit code or see code in SQL 2012 Denali SSIS script task

I cannot see the code associated with script component, what could be going on here?

Thanks

March 9th, 2012 5:04pm

FYI: When I open the package in a text editor I can see the code inside the package file. Somehow the designer is not showing it
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 9th, 2012 5:09pm

Was it an AcriveX script in the original package? This could be the reason
March 9th, 2012 6:31pm

nope plain c# code, but I guess my installation is corrupt, on another installation this was not an issue. I am currently uninstalling vs2010, and then sql server shared features and then reinstall them back hoping that will resolve the issue
March 9th, 2012 6:49pm

Before un-installing you could do a couple of things. I can see you have too many third-party tools installed, I guess they have cause this.

I typically do

Devenv /ResetSettings

Then un-install 3-d party components.

And only then the Visual Studio

March 9th, 2012 7:00pm

Thank you for the tip, I am saving this aside for the next time I run into a similar problem, I am currently in the middle of the uninstall, already hit the red button and launched the nuclear bomb and praying on the right on 4 different religion :-).
March 9th, 2012 7:04pm

I uninstalled visual studio 2010, I uninstalled sql server shared features, reinstalled visual studio 2010, reapplied visual studio service pack 1, reinstalled sql server 2012 shared features. I did "Devenv /ResetSettings" and I am back where I started, the script component shows blank, no files nothing but package xml has the code.

Any ideas ?

Thank you

March 9th, 2012 8:56pm

Cannot edit code or see code in SQL 2012 Denali SSIS script task. I literally totally reinstalled visual studio 2010 and sql server 2012 but this issue did not go away. Please advise

Thank you

March 9th, 2012 9:03pm

Uninstall now any 3-rd party tools.
March 9th, 2012 9:09pm

Remove all third-party addons
March 9th, 2012 9:10pm

You know, I now think there could be a problem with the name of the script. What is it? Try renaming it and then opening it up.
March 9th, 2012 9:14pm

did not help

March 9th, 2012 9:15pm

Try renaming the script.
March 9th, 2012 9:16pm

I am trying a brand new package now it's not working in this server, on another server the same thing is fine
March 9th, 2012 9:16pm

I renamed the script, no good :-(

March 9th, 2012 9:17pm

I want to continue on the other thread, I though the issue was upgraded packages , but the issue is something with the installation itself, even on a new package I get the same problem

Cannot edit code or see code in SQL 2012 Denali SSIS script task

Thanks

March 9th, 2012 9:19pm

Did you check for any pending updates, SPs?
March 9th, 2012 9:21pm

meaning windows updates?
March 9th, 2012 9:21pm

yes, correct
March 9th, 2012 9:22pm

I suggest since the RTM is available on MSDN you better get that one instead of using the "Denali".
March 9th, 2012 9:24pm

there is some updates coming but I am in the conferenceroom listening to Jonathan Kehayias from SQLSkills and we have a bad internet connection, the updates gonna take a while
March 9th, 2012 9:25pm

yes  I downloaded the RTM yesterday and installed that on 4 of our servers, 2 server is fine, my notebook is where I am sending screenshots no good and another server is no good, we do not have any pre release versions at all.
March 9th, 2012 9:26pm

Hi Gokhan,

Do you see the following listed as installed Programs on your system:

Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications Design-Time 3.0
Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Application x64 Runtime 3.0
Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Application x86 Runtime 3.0

Thanks,

Cathy Miller

March 30th, 2012 3:58pm

I had to rebuild my server from scratch and have a fresh install now. I do not have access to the failed machine anymore.
March 30th, 2012 4:27pm

So the remedy was in rebuilding the machine, right?
March 30th, 2012 5:52pm

I end up replacing windows 7 with windows 2008 R2 hyper v and installed couple more windows 2008 R2's on it to test sql 2021 clustering and always on and stuff , it was worth it. I had to get prepared for MCM exam anyway it worked out. 

But it did certainly not make me gain confidence on sql 2012 upgrade :-(

March 30th, 2012 7:11pm

Thank you for sharing and good luck with the MCM exam!
March 30th, 2012 7:14pm

This resolved the issue for me.

My problem was that I had Source Control enabled. As soon as I disabled it everything worked.

You can disable it by clicking Tools --> Options --> Source Control --> Plug-in Selection and then selecting "None" in the Current Source Control Plug-in dropdown.

Hope this helps

August 21st, 2012 12:31pm

So, I've just installed SQL 2012 RTM on a fresh install of Windows 7 and I get this exact behaviour on SSIS script tasks too - completely blank even on newly created projects.

In response to the existing comments:
There are no third party add-ins
The relevant VSTA items are listed in add/remove programs
I've turned off source control

The script tasks do have some code in - in fact my test package runs fine. I just can't see/edit any source.
September 17th, 2012 12:25pm

Actually - I only turned off source control in VSTA... When I turned it off in the main Visual Studio everything worked.

It still works now I've re-enabled source control.

September 18th, 2012 9:40am

There seems to be a conflict with Windows Folder Redirection - every time I log off one computer (with SQL 2012 installed) login to another (without it installed) and back to the original computer my settings are screwed and I have to disable/reenable the source control provider.

September 18th, 2012 11:39am

I was able to resolve this by setting the Tools | Options | Source Control Plugin to "None" from AnkhSVN. However, setting it back to Ankh reintroduces the symptom, but at least I can debug my Script Component. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

* Ultimately resolved the issue by upgrading AnkhSVN to version 2.4.11610
  • Edited by DrDvorak Thursday, June 06, 2013 1:57 PM Update
June 6th, 2013 1:38pm

I began this thread feeling confident that my answer is here.  I have done everything listed and Nothing has worked.  No add-ons, reinstalls, all 3 parts of VSTA are here, source control off, in both VSTA and Visual Studio.  I'm running VS2013 and SSDT for Visual Studio 2013, Sql Server 2014 Developer.  What should I try next? 

March 31st, 2015 3:50pm

I am having same problem in VS 2012. Rebuild, reboot sometimes works. Delete entry point 'Main', Build, add entry point 'Main' rebuild: sometimes works. My Productivity is down significantly. Surprised MS has no answer for such a crippling bug.
April 6th, 2015 2:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics