Cannot delete Scheduled Task

I made a basic task with Task Scheduler

My account is part of the domain admins group

I cannot delete the task I made with my own user acount

If open Task Scheduler with Run As Administrator, I still cannot delete the task.

I can only delete the task by running the command prompt as administrator with the schtasks /delete command.

I cannot delete the task with the schtasks /delete command if I run the command prompt as myself

Why can't I delete my own task?  Why can't user administrator delete the task with the Task Scheduler MMC?

A.Beach

April 15th, 2010 10:57pm

Hi ABeach,

Thank you for posting here.

What's the server operation system? If you logon another domain admin account, can you delete this task?

Please start the command prompt with "Run as Administrator" option to run schtasks /delete command. Does it work?

Regards,

Wilson Jia

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 16th, 2010 2:35am

Can you delete them from?

C:\Windows\Tasks

April 16th, 2010 3:24am

The Operating system is Server 2008, not R2. 

I cannot delete the task if I run the task scheduler as user Administrator

I can delete the task with the schtasks /delete command, only if I run the command prompt as user Administrator.

I was able to delete the Task form the c:\windows\system32\Tasks folder. 

That does not really resolve the problem though.  Why can't I delete the Task with Task Scheduler.  The technet article for Server 2008 says it's as simple as clicking the delete button.

Adam Beach

April 16th, 2010 3:55pm

Yes, it was just a test. Does deleting from the Task Scheduler MMC generate any errors?

April 17th, 2010 2:09am

Hi ,

Can you run procmon to anlayze the access granted between your account vs administrator account ?

You are able to delete the task using command prompt but not the MMC using administrator account which means the Task scheduler component works appropriately , this you can analyze by

a) restarting the task scheduler service, if the service starts without any problem then OS is using Local system account to authenticate the priviliges.

b) Try restarting the dependency services ( RPC ) and also check for RPC errors if any

Are you seeing any error in event log?

April 19th, 2010 4:44am

Hi ,

Did you had a chance to perform the action plan suggested earlier ?

April 29th, 2010 8:55am

ABeach, please try this:

Delete the offending file from C:\Windows\Tasks

After the file is deleted, if it is still showing on the scheduled task menu.  Just sort the menu by task using the Settings-->ControlPanel-->Schedule Tasks-->Add Schedule Task --> right click Sort By Name menu item.

I know this sounds crazy -- but your task will disappear after being sorted if there is no corresponding task file in the C:\Windows\Tasks folder.

Good luck.

December 18th, 2011 2:55am

Uh, not all tasks appear in windows\tasks... this thread is helpful to the general user, but not really accurate.
June 21st, 2015 2:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics