Cannot create conditional forwarder - a zone configuration problem occured

Hi all

We are experiencing an issue when trying to create a new DNS conditional forwarder on the domain controllers for "domain a". The forwarder we are trying to create, zone1.company.com, was originally configured on the "domain a" DC's as a primary AD integrated zone. After moving the zone to the DC's for "domain b" we are now trying to create a conditional forwarder to  allow "domain a" clients to be able to resolve zone1.company.com records. The zone has been completely removed from the "domain a" DC's as far as I can see (DNS console, ADSIedit)

When we trying a create the forwarder we receive an error message:

Also tried using dnscmd and received the following:

The same thing happens whether we try to create it as an AD integrated or non AD integrated conditional forwarder. After deleting the zone we have waited some time, and forced replication, however the same issue is occurring.

I can create a conditional forwarded for different domains with no issues so it is only related to zone1.company.com.

As a workaround I have created an AD integrated stub zone for this zone in "domain a" instead which worked fine. for consistence sake we'd prefer to use a conditional forwarder.

There is nothing appearing in the event logs related to this issue which is really strange.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Brady

• Edited by Kenman87 Friday, September 04, 2015 1:36 AM added info
September 4th, 2015 1:33am

Hi Brady,

On your DNS server, is there a zone "company.com"?

If yes, it is not supported to create a conditional forwarder for zone "zone1.company.com".

In that case, we could create a stub zone(as you mentioned) or delegation.

Here is the reference for delegating zones:
Delegating zones:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784494%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Leo

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2015 1:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics