Cannot create VM from Gen2 template

I'm using SC VMM 2012 R2 and am trying to create a Server 2012 r2 vm template.

I created a new Gen2 VM and did a clean install of Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, then applied latest updates, etc. Next, I shut down, then cloned that master image. So far, so good.

Then, I went to create a VM template from an existing VM, using the cloned vm as the source. That appeared to work and the VM was stored in the library.

Now, when I go to create a VM from that template, I get an error (23352) on step 1.4 - Change properties of virtual machine. The error says "VMM cannot find the device or this device is not valid for a boot device." Recommended Action "Make sure you specify a valid device as a boot device."

It's not really clear how to fix this. The source VM works fine and boots. The template was created from that...  also, the link on
"how to set the boot order for a generation 2 virtual machine" doesn't work and goes to the main SC page.

How can I resolve this so I can create gen2 VM's from a template?

Thanks

October 25th, 2013 2:54pm

I get the same error:

Create virtual machine 10/25/2013 2:22:44 PM 10/25/2013 2:24:17 PM
Create virtual machine 10/25/2013 2:22:46 PM 10/25/2013 2:22:46 PM
Deploy file (using Fast File Copy) 10/25/2013 2:22:47 PM 10/25/2013 2:24:12 PM
Deploy file (using LAN) 10/25/2013 2:24:12 PM 10/25/2013 2:24:12 PM
Change properties of virtual machine 10/25/2013 2:24:12 PM 10/25/2013 2:24:17 PM
Fix up differencing disks 10/25/2013 2:24:12 PM 10/25/2013 2:24:12 PM

Error (23352)
VMM cannot find the device or this device is not valid for a boot device.

Recommended Action
Make sure you specify a valid device as a boot device.

When looking at the hardware configuration of the VM in the Template i see the boot SCSI disk with a check box that says this is the os for the VM.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 25th, 2013 6:30pm

Just to make sure: you are deploying the VM to a 2012 R2 host, right?

-kn

October 29th, 2013 9:04am

Just to make sure: you are deploying the VM to a 2012 R2 host, right?

October 29th, 2013 11:33am

Yes,  I have the same issue.

If I use Gen. 1 machine for Win2012R2, then I don't have any issues.

\\BIKS

October 29th, 2013 2:40pm

Hi Kristian,

Have you with success create a 2012r2 vm from gen. 2 template?

\\BIKS

October 29th, 2013 10:32pm

Yes I have - and I'll write a blog post describing the process.

There should be no problem with sysprep - and deployment of VM templates based on Gen2 VMs with VMM 2012 R2.

Can you please describe the exact process so far in your environment?

October 30th, 2013 5:03am

Hi Kristan,

I described the exact steps I took in the initial post. The hosts are 2012 R2 Datacenter with the latest VMM agent.

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary; I cloned a VM then turned the clone into a template. That's it. I expected that it should "just work" and was surprised when I hit errors trying to create an instance of the template.

Oren

October 30th, 2013 5:39am

My steps

1 Created new VM gen 2 machine
2 Installed Win2012r2 OS
3 Right click the new gen 2 machine with win2012r2 and choose 'create vm template'

4 right click the new template and choose 'create virtual machine' 

Then after a shot time I get above error messages.

\\BIKS

October 30th, 2013 1:52pm

I have same problem also.

Error (13206)
Virtual Machine Manager cannot locate the boot or system volume on virtual machine 2012r2 template. The resulting virtual machine might not start or operate properly.

2012r2 gen2 template

October 30th, 2013 7:44pm

Ditto for me.. Exact same scenario.

1 Create base 2012 R2 Standard Generation 2 VM

2 Shut down VM

3 Attempt to create template

4 Errors out with above error

October 30th, 2013 9:25pm

I've got exact the same problem.

I've got 2 clustered hosts (Hyper-V Server 2012R2).

Can not deploy Gen2 VM (Windows Server 2012R2 Standard) from template, it fails with "VMM cannot find the device or this device is not valid for a boot device."

• Edited by 'Quasar' Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:38 AM
October 31st, 2013 11:38am

I've got exact the same problem.

I've got 2 clustered hosts (Hyper-V Server 2012R2).

Can not deploy Gen2 VM (Windows Server 2012R2 Standard) from template, it fails with "VMM cannot find the device or this device is not valid for a boot device."

• Edited by 'Quasar' Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:38 AM
October 31st, 2013 11:38am

No one from Microsoft has picked up on this yet?

This is NOT a hard thing for us all to reproduce.

1. Create brand new Gen2 VM on RTM R2 Server with R2 SCVMM
  2. Install OS using shared ISO
  3. Create VM Template and select stopped VM we just created.
  4. Deploy same template right back to server we just consumed the VM from in the making of the template
  5. Error occurs as stated by many above.

This is not rocket science and it ISN'T a complicated thing we are doing.  This is something that SHOULD have been noticed during testing and regression testing prior to release.

Can we get a response from Microsoft or is it that only people that call in get any help.  If that is the case why have these forums?

Daren Daigle

November 1st, 2013 11:49am

I have the same problem and tried different way to fix it with no luck, looks like make the VHD as OS disk still not wo
November 2nd, 2013 10:06am

I am having the same issue.

What I have found so far is that the template has unchecked "Contains the operating system for the virtual machine".  Rechecking this in the template seems to make no difference.

For grins, I "Remediated" the machine that got created and told it to ignore the error and the machine boots up just fine....without any customizations of course, but this eliminates the idea that the hard drive somehow got corrupted or cannot be found by the virtual machine.

Looking forward to someone finding more information.

November 2nd, 2013 6:42pm

Another thought....The server that I am deploying to was a 2012 server that I upgraded to R2 and it screwed up my hyper-v to the point that I had to remove it and re-install the role.  Wonder if this has anything to do with it.

The upgrade attempt to my VMM when even worse, to the point that I had to rebuild the machine.  When I added the Hyper-V server back to my now VMM R2 server, it had some issues that I had to tinker with to get everything added back right, because it still had some of the VMM SP1 stuff on it.

Wonder if this coincides with anything everyone else has been experiencing.

Between the screwed up upgrades to 8.1 and to R2, you have to wonder what levels of testing Microsoft did, or did not do, as the case may be.

November 2nd, 2013 6:55pm

There seems to be an issue here with cloning to or making a VM from a Gen2 VM template.  I'm running into the same problems here with trying to clone from a Generation 2 VM; going through the process of placing the VM on a host, it spawns an error that I must boot from IDE, clearly indicating that for some reason VMM believes it is creating a gen 1 VM. 
November 4th, 2013 7:32pm

I got the same result in SCVMM 2012 R2 and Hyper-V 2012 R2. But i did manage to found a workaround for the issue.

After the Server that is going to be a Template are installed. Stop the machine and start Powershell or Hyper-V 2012 R2 Manager (it have to be a 2012 R2 that you start Hyper-V Manager from) and change the boot order under "BIOS" to 

1. the Vritual disk

2. CD/DVD

3. File.

4. network Adapter

Finaly disable the Secure boot Option, after that create your Template from the VM.

Then create a Hardware Profile that enable the secure boot option and a OS profile of your choise.  

Now when you create your Gen 2 VM from the template and using your profiles everyting will work as expected.

The issue seems to be the boot from file and Secure Boot option in the template that SCVMM can't handle during the Creation of the machine, and will fail to create the machine.

November 5th, 2013 10:15am

Excellent work rino01, I have validated your solution on my system with expected results.  I was kind of curious about your requirement to start the Hyper-V Manager from 2012, so I tried it from my 8.1 workstation and everything worked fine.  For reference here are the steps that I took:

While the template source machine was shut down,

I made the following modifications with the Hyper-V Manager:

1. Right clicked on machine and selected Settings....
  2. Selected Firmware.
  3. Un-checked Enable Secure Boot.
  4. In Boot Order, moved the file option to the bottom.
  5. Clicked OK.

I made the following modifications with Virtual Machine Manager:

1. Right clicked on machine and selected Properties.
  2. Selected Advanced | Firmware.
  3. Un-checked Enable secure boot. (This may eventually propogate, but it was still checked in my environment)
  4. Click on OK.
  5. Right click on machine and select Create | Clone..., so that I don't have to keep recreating the machine when I want to create a new template.
  6. Right click on cloned machine and select Create | Create VM Template.
  7. Run through the wizard as normal.
  8. Right click on the created template and select Properties.
  9. Select Hardware Configuration.
  10. Select Firmware.
  11. Check Enable secure boot.
  12. Click OK.

From this point forward, everything should work fine.  As a point of clarification, on my initial tests, I did not perform steps 8-12 in the last section, but I had a pre-configured Hardware Profile and Guest OS Profile that I applied during VM deployment, but the results should be the same.

Hopefully someone from Microsoft will read this and fix the product, but at least we have a workable solution to use in the mean time thanks to rino01.

November 5th, 2013 3:18pm

Hi - I'm un-proposing the answer because while the workaround is helpful, we still have yet to hear anything official from Microsoft.

Frankly, this seems to be a real bug and needs to be acknowledged by them.

Keeping this thread open until then.

Oren

November 5th, 2013 4:04pm

As i said it's a workaround to get your servers up on Gen 2. I still hope Microsoft will release a fix for this issue.

But it's still a solution that works so you can keep on deploying your servers using Generation 2 VM's.

November 5th, 2013 4:14pm

Hi - I'm un-proposing the answer because while the workaround is helpful, we still have yet to hear anything official from Microsoft.

Frankly, this seems to be a real bug and needs to be acknowledged by them.

Keeping this thread open until then.

Oren

While I agree that this is a bug that requires fixing, I do not believe that leaving it as unanswered is going to get Microsoft's attention.  Your initial question: How can I resolve this so I can create gen2 VM's  from a template? has been answered and to not mark an answer ignores credit to those that have endeavored to help.

The forums provide a place to seek answers to issues, which do sometimes involve workarounds to bugs that exist.

The forums are not the appropriate place to file bugs, Microsoft has official channels for that and you now have adequate information to file that bug report if you so choose.

In the end, it is your choice about marking an answer, but in this case I would encourage you to do so, so that others may easily find the work around, until such time as Microsoft chooses to actually fix the bug.

November 5th, 2013 4:16pm

Excellent work rino01, I have validated your solution on my system with expected results.  I was kind of curious about your requirement to start the Hyper-V Manager from 2012, so I tried it from my 8.1 workstation and everything worked fine.  For reference here are the steps that I took:

While the template source machine was shut down,

I made the following modifications with the Hyper-V Manager:

1. Right clicked on machine and selected Settings....
  2. Selected Firmware.
  3. Un-checked Enable Secure Boot.
  4. In Boot Order, moved the file option to the bottom.
  5. Clicked OK.

I made the following modifications with Virtual Machine Manager:

1. Right clicked on machine and selected Properties.
  2. Selected Advanced | Firmware.
  3. Un-checked Enable secure boot. (This may eventually propogate, but it was still checked in my environment)
  4. Click on OK.
  5. Right click on machine and select Create | Clone..., so that I don't have to keep recreating the machine when I want to create a new template.
  6. Right click on cloned machine and select Create | Create VM Template.
  7. Run through the wizard as normal.
  8. Right click on the created template and select Properties.
  9. Select Hardware Configuration.
  10. Select Firmware.
  11. Check Enable secure boot.
  12. Click OK.

From this point forward, everything should work fine.  As a point of clarification, on my initial tests, I did not perform steps 8-12 in the last section, but I had a pre-configured Hardware Profile and Guest OS Profile that I applied during VM deployment, but the results should be the same.

Hopefully someone from Microsoft will read this and fix the product, but at least we have a workable solution to use in the mean time thanks to rino01

November 5th, 2013 6:35pm

@Daren,

Are you still getting the exact same symptoms as described in the original question?  It is possible that, in your specific configuration, that there are other items still causing issues.  As an extra measure, I just tried doing a deployment without my "Profiles" and just using the defaults from the template, with the exception of assigning a network, and everything went fine.

Below are the PowerShell scripts for the source machine:

$VM = Get-SCVirtualMachine -VMMServer vmmServer  -Name "2012-R2-Template" -ID "76f9f767-016e-48c8-a90b-31c484790a6f" | where {$_.VMHost.Name -eq "hypervServer.somedomain.com"}
$OperatingSystem = Get-SCOperatingSystem -VMMServer vmmServer -ID "6f8f058d-918e-4eca-bf8d-3c2ac1d7c747" | where {$_.Name -eq "Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter"}
$UserRole = Get-SCUserRole -VMMServer vmmServer   -Name "Administrator" -ID "75700cd5-893e-4f68-ada7-50ef4668acc6"
$CPUType = Get-SCCPUType -VMMServer vmmServer | where {$_.Name -eq "3.60 GHz Xeon (2 MB L2 cache)"}

Set-SCVirtualMachine -VM $VM -Name "2012-R2-Template" -Description "" -OperatingSystem $OperatingSystem -Owner "domain\account" -UserRole $UserRole -CPUCount 1 -MemoryMB 512 -DynamicMemoryEnabled $true -DynamicMemoryMinimumMB 32 -DynamicMemoryMaximumMB 2048 -DynamicMemoryBufferPercentage 20 -MemoryWeight 5000 -CPUExpectedUtilizationPercent 20 -DiskIops 0 -CPUMaximumPercent 100 -CPUReserve 0 -NumaIsolationRequired $false -NetworkUtilizationMbps 0 -CPURelativeWeight 100 -HighlyAvailable $false -DRProtectionRequired $false -SecureBootEnabled $false -CPULimitFunctionality $false -CPULimitForMigration $false -CPUType $CPUType -Tag "(none)" -QuotaPoint 1 -JobGroup a0ba0c9a-d9ef-4922-af31-f005cb7e658b -RunAsynchronously -StartAction NeverAutoTurnOnVM -StopAction SaveVM -BlockDynamicOptimization $false -EnableOperatingSystemShutdown $true -EnableTimeSynchronization $true -EnableDataExchange $true -EnableHeartbeat $true -EnableBackup $true -RunAsSystem -UseHardwareAssistedVirtualization $true 

and the created template:

$Template = Get-SCVMTemplate -VMMServer vmmServer -ID "39d492fa-b1c0-4188-bd51-6f47034eba3a" | where {$_.Name -eq "Windows Server 2012 R2"}
$UserRole = Get-SCUserRole -VMMServer vmmServer  -Name "Administrator" -ID "75700cd5-893e-4f68-ada7-50ef4668acc6"
$CPUType = Get-SCCPUType -VMMServer vmmServer | where {$_.Name -eq "3.60 GHz Xeon (2 MB L2 cache)"}

$OperatingSystem = Get-SCOperatingSystem -VMMServer vmmServer -ID "ff0fe0a6-7166-44d3-8a0c-379195e2f9bb" | where {$_.Name -eq "64-bit edition of Windows Server 2012 Datacenter"}

Set-SCVMTemplate -Template $Template -Name "Windows Server 2012 R2" -Owner "domain\account" -UserRole $UserRole -CPUCount 1 -MemoryMB 512 -DynamicMemoryEnabled $true -DynamicMemoryMinimumMB 32 -DynamicMemoryMaximumMB 2048 -DynamicMemoryBufferPercentage 20 -MemoryWeight 5000 -CPUExpectedUtilizationPercent 20 -DiskIops 0 -CPUMaximumPercent 100 -CPUReserve 0 -NumaIsolationRequired $false -NetworkUtilizationMbps 0 -CPURelativeWeight 100 -HighlyAvailable $false -DRProtectionRequired $false -SecureBootEnabled $true -CPULimitFunctionality $false -CPULimitForMigration $false -CPUType $CPUType -ComputerName "*" -TimeZone 20  -FullName "" -OrganizationName "" -Workgroup "WORKGROUP" -AnswerFile $null -OperatingSystem $OperatingSystem -Tag "(none)" -QuotaPoint 1 -JobGroup 3245e008-311c-40f7-9a15-a26136317ba7 -RunAsynchronously 

The only thing that jumps out at me as missing is the boot order, which is moving the "File" to the bottom of the list.

Hopefully some of this helps.

November 5th, 2013 7:47pm

What I meant was that you have to use a Hyper-V manager from and server 2012 R2 since the 2012 / Windows 8  relase dosen't have support for Generation 2 Machines. Becuse of that you can't change the boot order since it's simply not vissible :) But I should have said as you pointed out that you can also do this with Windows 8.1 Hyper-V manager since it supports Generation 2 Machines as well.
November 5th, 2013 9:29pm

Hello Darren, can you give us some more information on the failure? Since I have know ide on how much you know about generations 2 VM and SCVMM i you have to ask:

1. What OS are you deploying to use for your template,? only Server 2012, Windows 8, Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 are supported to use as generation 2 Virtual guest.

2. When you install the server in SCVMM from your ISO did you select that it should be a Generation 2 Virtual machine?

Could you please give us som more feedback and will do our best to help yo

November 5th, 2013 9:36pm

Hello Darren, can you give us some more information on the failure? Since I have know ide on how much you know about generations 2 VM and SCVMM i you have to ask:

1. What OS are you deploying to use for your template,? only Server 2012, Windows 8, Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 are supported to use as generation 2 Virtual guest.

2. When you install the server in SCVMM from your ISO did you select that it should be a Generation 2 Virtual machine?

Could you please give us som more feedback and will do our best to help yo

November 6th, 2013 1:34pm

This has worked now that i have meticulously followed the instructions.  it proves that although it is a workaround, it is also a definative problem with the product.  Thank you Thomas and Rhino01

Daren Daigle

November 6th, 2013 7:39pm

Note: we have noticed some issues with this process IF you perform any of the actions outside of VMM.

In order to successfully deploy a Gen2 VM based on a template with VMM, please do the following:

1) Create your Gen2 VM (that you will be using as a template) with VMM.

2) Install and complete the OS configuration

3) shut down the VM

4) Create --> VM template within the VMM console

5) Deploy a new VM based on this template with VMM and verify it's working

Feedback is appreciated. 

-kn

November 7th, 2013 4:53pm

Note: we have noticed some issues with this process IF you perform any of the actions outside of VMM.

In order to successfully deploy a Gen2 VM based on a template with VMM, please do the following:

3) shut down the VM

Feedback is appreciated. 

November 7th, 2013 4:59pm

I can confirm that. As long as you don't make mods to the template VM outside of VMM, there is no issue with the boot device.

Michael

November 7th, 2013 7:30pm

3) shut down the VM

Feedback is appreciated. 

November 7th, 2013 10:50pm

I just tested in my lab and found no needed to enable/disable the secure boot

What you need to do is just shutdown the VM you want to make as a VM template, and navigate Hyper-V manager,
 change the VM boot order and put the "Hard Drive" to be the first instead of the "File".

Done deal, then just follow the normal process to make the VM template,
 and everything works perfe

November 8th, 2013 5:42am

Finally, thanks to the rino01 from here, and based on his found, I figured out the easiest fix as below:

ALL you need to do is shutdown the VM you want to make as a VM template, and navigate Hyper-V manager, change the VM boot order and put the "Hard Drive" to be the first instead of "File"

You can find all of my test in he

November 8th, 2013 7:21am

Glad to be able to help out.

November 8th, 2013 8:38am

The workaround of Rino01 did not solve the issue in my environment. I used the following PowerShell command (from the SCVMM shell) to fix this boot issue: get-scvmtemplate -name "Windows Server 2012 R2 template" | set-scvmtemplate -FirstBootDevice SCSI,0,0

Where the first 0 is the SCSI bus ID en the second 0 is the LUN ID of the boot disk.

December 13th, 2013 12:29pm

The workaround of Rino01 did not solve the issue in my environment. I used the following PowerShell command (from the SCVMM shell) to fix this boot issue: get-scvmtemplate -name "Windows Server 2012 R2 template" | set-scvmtemplate -FirstBootDevice SCSI,0,0

Where the first 0 is the SCSI bus ID en the second 0 is the LUN ID of the boot

January 29th, 2014 2:35am

Where the first 0 is the SCSI bus ID en the second 0 is the LUN ID of the boot

May 8th, 2014 10:30am

Here is a procedure that works for me, I think it will work for you:

Creating a Generation 2 Virtual Machine and Template

A generation 2 VM can only be created with SCVMM 2012 R2 or Hyper-V on a Server 2012 R2 server or Windows 8.1 workstation. Generation 2 VMs can only be placed on Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1 Hyper-V Hosts.

1. In SCVMM 2012 R2, select Create Virtual Machine.
  2. Select Create the new virtual machine with a blank virtual hard disk.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Fill in the VM name and select Generation 2.
  5. Click Next.
  6. Select the appropriate resources for the VM: processor, memory (needs to be sufficient to create the Ram Disk during OS installation), virtual DVD (for OS installation), network connection, etc.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Click Next.
  9. Select the appropriate Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V host for placement.
  10. Verify that the selected host meets the requirements.
  11. Click Next.
  12. Click Next.
  13. Ensure the appropriate virtual network is selected.
  14. Click Next.
  15. Select the appropriate options.
  16. Click Next.
  17. Confirm all settings.
  18. Click Create.
  19. Once creation is completed, open the Hyper-V manager on the Host server.
  20. Select the VM and click on Settings.
  21. Select Firmware and change the boot order so that the DVD Drive is at the top of the order.
  22. Click OK.
  23. Start the VM.
  24. Press any key to boot to the DVD Drive and perform the OS installation.
  25. Logon to the VM perform any updates or customizations.
  26. Shut down the VM.
  27. Select the VM and click on Settings.
  28. Select Firmware and change the boot order as follows:
    a. HDD
    b. efi file
    c. DVD 
  29. Click OK.
  30. In SCVMM 2012 R2, right-click the VM.
  31. Select Create, Create VM Template.
  32. Click Yes.
  33. Enter an appropriate name for the VM Template.
  34. Click Next.
  35. Click Next.
  36. Select Admin Password.
  37. Select Specify the password of the local administrator account. (enter an appropriate password).
  38. Click Next.
  39. Click Next.
  40. Select the appropriate library path for templates.
  41. Click OK.
  42. Click Next.
  43. Click Create.
  44. You now have a fully functional VM template.

James Shriver

September 11th, 2014 5:11pm

that worked for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2955362

October 20th, 2014 11:11am

Yes it works. I'm just wondering why this bug isn't fixed yet. I just checked SCVMM build 3.2.7672.0 and it's still there.

The bug was first described in Dec 2013 (or maybe even earlier elsewhere): http://blog.itvce.com/?p=4962

10 months later, and no time to fix it? a pity... :-( Maybe someone of the program managers or engineers reads this and could take care of it. I do not want to open a support case. Should I...?

October 28th, 2014 7:27am

get-scvmtemplate -name "YourGen2TemplateName" | set-scvmtemplate -FirstBootDevice SCSI,0,0
March 24th, 2015 4:31am

As posted above, this fixed the issue.  Close the thread.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2955362

get-scvmtemplate -name "YourGen2TemplateName" | set-scvmtemplate -FirstBootDevice SCSI,0,0

• Edited by MacStang 15 hours 40 minutes ago
May 11th, 2015 11:35am

As posted above, this fixed the issue.  Close the thread.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2955362

• Edited by MacStang Monday, May 11, 2015 3:33 PM
May 11th, 2015 3:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics