Cannot connect to SQL Server 2008 R2 installed on Win Server 2008 R2 in domain controlled by Win SBS 2008. Get "Server doesn't exist ..." message
I have 2 SQL Server 2008 R2 instances installed on a new server running Win Server 2008 R2 in a Windows SBS 2008 domain. The instances are configured to allow remote connection. The users are authorized in the SQL root security. The users are authorized for the computer and both SQL instances. Shared folders on the computer are visible remotely. When I attempt to connect to either instance either programmatically, or using SQL Server Management Studio, the attempt fails with a Server not found ... error. I cannot see either instance. I opened port 1434 in the firewall but that only made things worse. I have not experienced this error before in SQL Servers 2000 or 2005. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks. MurrayM Whipps
October 30th, 2010 12:59am

try enabling "SQL Server Browser" service in services and you should be able to see/use your instances. There was a second approach to make named instances work, though i have that not on top of my head.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 30th, 2010 4:47am

Thanks. I'll give it a try.M Whipps
October 30th, 2010 2:58pm

Hi Murray, do you need any other assistance? If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 1st, 2010 3:58am

Hi Sean, That didn't work. The browser was already started. Interestingly it was only started for 1 of my named instances. I don't know how to start it for the others. In any event, I tried KB914277 with no success. It refers to properties or features that I can't find in Sql server 2008 R2. I added sqlsvr.exe to the inbound firewall rules rules for both of the instances. I can now see the root server, but neither instance. When I try to manually enter the istance name, it fails with A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider) I have no clue what to do now.M Whipps
November 1st, 2010 8:02pm

Hi Murray, I have some suggestions for you: 1. Ensure the correct Server Name is typed in SQL Server Management Studio. If the Database Engine is a named instance, the Server name box should also contain the instance name in the format <computer_name>\<instance_name>. 2. Refer to the following link to configure Windows Firewall to allow SQL server access: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx Meanwhile, as this forum focuses on Windows Server specific issues, you can also check the following SQL forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/sqlserver The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 2nd, 2010 6:15am

That didn't work either. Thanks. I'll ask on another forum.M Whipps
November 2nd, 2010 12:43pm

when you open SqlServer Configuration Manager, SQL Server Network Configuration, Protocols for <MSSQLSERVER/Instance>, TCP/IP, Properties, you can select IP Addresses. Are the IPs you try to connect to enabled there?
November 2nd, 2010 2:01pm

I am trying to connect FROM computers. They are all in the same domain and their IPs come from DHCPM Whipps
November 2nd, 2010 2:33pm

yes, but are the ips you want to connect to (the ip your instances use) enabled in the config i pointed you at?
November 2nd, 2010 7:09pm

They are listing on all TCP ports.M Whipps
November 3rd, 2010 8:29pm

I have solved the problem. Here's what I found: The connection was being blocked by the firewall. I had specifically opened ports 1433 and 1434 as suggested. I had allowed only TCP protocol. That wasn't enough. I changed the protocol to Any and presto - the connections worked! Thanks to everybody for your help.M Whipps
November 4th, 2010 1:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics