Cannot connect to RemoteApp (VDI mode) but can connect to full VDI desktop

Title says it all. I have a multiple server RDS farm. Gateway, license and broker are concentrated on one server. Several session hosts and they all work fine. They host full desktop sessions.

The problem started when we started to move to VDI (pooled managed). At first during testing everything was working in fine. We had started publishing our apps and it was working in our lab. We then tested for scale and deployment and everything was fine. When we started to roll out, at some point during creating of the VDI vm's (we were testing with 5 and then deployed 50), it got interrupted and failed. We recreated all desktops and that finished OK.

Problem is: no one can connect to an app.

If I remove the published apps, everyone can get a VDI desktop, but as soon as I try to publish an app, then nothing. No errors generated... nothing. It looks like it is connecting but then nothing. The Remotepp window just silently closes.

I have:

1. Rebuilt then entire RD Host from bare metal

2. Removed and re-added the gateway and connection broker services on the main server

3. Rebuilt the template from scratch and republished

I get the exact same behavior. Users can get full managed VDI desktops... cannot get RemoteApps.

Unfortunately, I cannot destroy the entire RDS infrastructure and rebuild because it is a business critical part of our infrastructure.

I have combed through the registries looking for orphaned entries, etc. and nothing. I saw a few blog posts related to the local DB for the connection broker and have not tried digging into that. I DO NOT have connection broker running in HA.

May 1st, 2014 9:35pm

Hi,

Is there anything in the logs for the broker and the rdvh logs that might provide clues?

What version is this, 2012 or 2012 R2?

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 2nd, 2014 2:20am

2012 R2

I see a 4609 error "Remote Desktop Virtualization Host could not connect to the Remote Desktop Connection Broker server. Verify that the server address is correct, and then try again." on the RDVH.

I am thinking that the broken deployment has messed up the WID on the broker. I am trying to find documentation on exactly what the data in the WID should look like but from a casual peek, I see mismatched IDs on the VMs in the tables and no IP address assignments for them either... no idea if that is normal or not.

May 2nd, 2014 4:12pm

I looked at the WID on the RDVH and it is mostly empty but it shows the Connection Broker to be itself and not the proper one... boy, I wish there was some documentation on what is actually supposed to be in there.
May 2nd, 2014 4:31pm

Hi,

Editing the RDMS database is not supported, and Microsoft does not provide documentation.

In rare cases when there is a problem I have manually fixed the database, however, it is not something I recommend people do in general.  I have in-depth knowledge of how RDS works combined with experience designing/coding/testing sql server apps so it is less risky in my case.

How complex is your RDS configuration in total?  How many servers, collections, published RemoteApps, etc? 

-TP

May 2nd, 2014 6:17pm

Hi Jason,

Do you need any other assistance?

Thanks.

May 5th, 2014 4:33am

It's a single RDVH with 17 published apps. The production infrastructure is several RDS servers running as session hosts. The project is to replace the session hosts with RemoteApp servers as we move to thin clients.

The situation is detailed in the original post. I can connect to a full VDI pooled managed VM no problem. After publishing an app, it soft fails (starts to set up connection, VM starts, and then it just closes the window) with nothing in the logs (at least that I have found... it seems logs are scattered al over the place with little to no documentation).

It was working during testing but a failed VM rebuild (going from 5 to 50 VMs) crippled it and I have yet to figure out why or how to fix it. I cannot take the gateway/broker down as it is business critical and in 24/7 production.

I am at a complete loss here and have been fighting with this nearly a month... this is very frustrating.

May 5th, 2014 4:41pm

After pounding on this thing and completely rebuilding the RDVH fro bare metal, I finally got a real traceable error from the gateway server (name removed but matches <servername>):

RDWebService (1) - n/a
"Unable to retrieve workspace reconnection list. Verify that access to the server
 <servername> exists, and that this computer's account has the correct
permissions. Additional information:2147946706

I cannot find a reference to this ANYWHERE. Can someone please shed some light onto what is going on here?

I am holding off rebuilding the gateway server (which would mean downtime and 10's of thousands in lost revenue).

May 13th, 2014 8:19pm

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your comment.

First of all sorry for late response.

There are many issue which can be caused by WMI to deny access to retrieve connection list. You can try few things which is quoted from below thread.

1. Check if the "TS Web Access Computers" security group on the RDSH server has incorrect permissions in DCOM and/or WMI:

For checking DCOM security settings:
   1. Start the Component Services MMC snapin
   2. Navigate to Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer
   3. Right-click on My Computer and select properties
   4. Go to the COM Security tab
   5. Under Access Permissions, click the Edit Limits button
   6. Ensure that TS Web Access Computers is in the list, with all of the permissions set to allow.
   7. Under Launch and Activation Permissions, click the Edit Limits button
   8. Ensure that TS Web Access Computers is in the list, with all of the permissions set to allow.

For checking WMI security settings:
   1. Start the WMI Control MMC snapin
   2. Right-click the WMI Control node and select properties
   3. Go to the Security tab
   4. Navigate to Root->CIMV2->TerminalServices
   5. With TerminalServices selected, click the Security button
   6. Ensure that TS Web Access Computers is in the list with Execute Methods, Enable Account, and Remote Enable set to "allow"

2.  Verify the RD Session Host server's firewall allows WMI calls.

3. Verify that the RD Connection Broker hasn't lost its trust relationship with the domain.

4. See if non-RDS related WMI calls can be successfully made to the RDSH server. This can help differentiate between a general WMI issue and an issue calling the RDS WMI provider.

More information.
RemoteApp Source not working from RDWeb
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/173d4546-e12f-47c1-ac66-8b4f69826892/remoteapp-source-not-working-from-rdweb?forum=winserverTS

Hope it helps! 

Thanks.
May 21st, 2014 4:23am

Hi Jason,

Is there any update for your issue?

Thanks.
May 26th, 2014 4:59am

Hi,

Any further update?

Thanks.

May 30th, 2014 5:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics