Cannot connect to Pooled Collection

Here is the scenario:

Created a standard deployment on a non-production server to test VDI capabilities. Server 2012 R2 Datacenter (OS)

Services installed: 

RD Connection Broker, RD Virtualization Host, RD Web Access

Pooled VDI collection created successfully, given static IPs and can be pinged on my network. The image created has a standard Admin user profile that our department will use for local admin rights. Connection to the collection is successful and I can see who is logged in. Only can access the VMs simultaneously if I physically choose "log-off" for the domain user profile when disconnecting. 

Once choosing log-out, the VM is turned off and shut down. A VM can connect to this open session now through the /rdweb portal. However, if I leave it, the session will be logged into and says as active on the local admin account we created. (This I am viewing through the "Connections" portion of Server Manger -> RDS -> Collections. On the VM, I have chosen to not automatically start to try and avoid this but that did not solve the issue. 

How do I make it so that the session is not locked and logged into by the local account used when setting up the VM (the Local admin account)? 

The issue we get when connecting to the session is "There are non available computers in the pool. Try connecting again, or contact your network administrator." I have uninstalled and reinstalled the connection broker role. Also, have recreated the collection. 

Cheers.

July 28th, 2015 9:53pm

Hi,

Once choosing log-out, the VM is turned off and shut down. A VM can connect to this open session now through the /rdweb portal. However, if I leave it, the session will be logged into and says as active on the local admin account we created.

I dont quite understand A VM can connect to this open session, would you please clarify?

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2015 11:24am

Sure. So say i chose to shut down VM1. There is a period of time I can log into the rdweb portal as a domain user and then connect to VM1 before the local admin account automatically locks up the VM1. If I wait too long, the connection will be rejected with the error "no available computers in the pool" because it says the local admin account has already connected to it in an "active" session. 

If I need to ask in a different way, how do I make it so that the pooled VMs that I have created will remain in an open state instead of rebooting and logging into the local admin account? Even though I have not initiated a login or anything to the VMs they will automatically start and register as Active. 

• Edited by ianper Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:49 PM edit
July 29th, 2015 2:24pm

Sure. So say i chose to shut down VM1. There is a period of time I can log into the rdweb portal as a domain user and then connect to VM1 before the local admin account automatically locks up the VM1. If I wait too long, the connection will be rejected with the error "no available computers in the pool" because it says the local admin account has already connected to it in an "active" session. 

If I need to ask in a different way, how do I make it so that the pooled VMs that I have created will remain in an open state instead of rebooting and logging into the local admin account? Even though I have not initiated a login or anything to the VMs they will automatically start and register as Active. 

Hi,

It seems pretty strange to me that after users logged off, local administrator would log onto the virtual desktop.

Are there any kind of scripts running which would use local administrators credentials to log on?

Any software/program installed could be doing this?

You may check security logs on the virtual desktop and connection broker related logs on terminal server to see whether you could find more detailed information regarding the local administrators logon behavior.

In addition, you may manually log off the local administrator from Collection -> Connections, then use other user accounts to log on.

Best Regards,

Amy

July 30th, 2015 10:06pm

Yeah it is quite puzzling. 

I have set registry keys to turn off autologin... all the values are set to 0 for that and no default accounts or password are selected. The vm is not running any scripts. It only has basic software installed as it is my initial testing phase for creating collections on this stand-alone server. 

Could it be an issue with not having the gateway role installed? 

One of the VMS (from Security log)

- The most recent events were logoffs... of the account in question. So for some reason the VM is doing exactly what it should be and what it shouldn't be.

It is properly saying "Sign this profile out" or "Do not log into the local admin account", but it is also connecting initially without a user physically logging in. 

July 31st, 2015 1:52pm

Hi,

The most recent events were logoffs... of the account in question.

If you could locate the logon events for the local administrator, then analyze based on these events may get us some leads.

Have you checked connection broker related logs? If the local administrators session is RDP session, then redirection may be involved.

Terminal Services related logs can be found under Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs\ Microsoft\ Windows\.

If nothing useful can be found, I suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Support and Services where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

You may find phone number for your region accordingly from the link below:

Global Customer Service phone numbers

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers/en-au?wa=wsignin1.0

Best Regards,                   

Amy

August 2nd, 2015 10:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics