Cannot connect to Domain Controller
I have sent a desktop to a remote site for some general use, mostly printing. Before sending it out, I made sure that it got IP and connected to the domain. Now that it is there, it is getting an IP from DHCP, but it can't find the DC. I've removed the machine from the domain, both within ADUC and on the machine itself by moving it to workgroup, and tried to re-add it to the domain. I released and renewed the IP, successfully. Other machines can connect to the domain without issue on the same port. This is where it gets embarrassing. I don't know Which server provides DHCP for the site. I know I'm missing something simple, but I have to troubleshoot through very non-technical users (construction inspectors) to fix the issue.
August 3rd, 2010 11:04pm

It sounds like this is most likely a DHCP problem, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958941.aspx Usually you want to have the options for the scope set in such a way that the DCs that are hosting the DNS role are used as the DNS servers for clients. This will allow the appropriate SRV records to be located when the system attempts to contact the domain. If you do an ipconfig /all on the system that cannot contact the domain controller, there should be a line that reports the DHCP Server IP address for the interface that is receiving the DHCP lease. DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . . : x.x.x.x If you have a PTR record registered, then you can determine the hostname of the DHCP server using nslookup with the IP address, otherwise you may have to try getting in with RDP or an MMC console using the IP address to adjust the scope. -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2010 11:22pm

On the remote computer Run ipconfig /all, it will tell you the DHCP servers ip address and the DNS servers, and the default gateway. Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.20 Run ping domain.com this will tell you if DNS is working Assuming the DNS ipadresses are correct, Run ping ip_address (of DNS server) this will tell you if network communication the DNS server is working. If not check the default gateway setting. Doing these things should point you in the right direction.
August 3rd, 2010 11:25pm

OK, I did some more work with a user at the site and here's what I came up with. I had him hook up another machine on the network and compared all of the TCPIP settings. Everything matched, except for the default gateway. I had him manually put in the gateway to match the known-good and /release /renew. No Dice. We then removed the manual gateway and did another release/renew, and the same one was given automatically, I figure that to be a step in the right direction, but still no DC contact. I had him ping our homesite and it resolved the IP, so DNS seems to be running fine. The machine also connects to internet without any issues. BUT I can not ping the machine from my DC, where-as I can ping other IP's on the same subnet. When running a tracert, it stops at the site's DHCP server (same as gateway btw). I have no clue where this server is. nslookup can't resolve the address that the known-good is using for Gateway/DHCP
August 4th, 2010 9:59pm

Hi RLDSONM , Thanks for posting here. After reading your post I understand that machine in remote site which has network connect to your main office cannot reach the DC in main office with DHCP settings but other machines can. If I misunderstand please let me know. In order to narrow down the issue more efficiently, we may collect more information for further investigation. When you failed to re-join domain , what is the system prompt ? Have you ever modified HOST file on your problematic machine? What’s the OS version of this problematic machine? Is this DHCP server the gateway to your main office? Could you check the connectivity between this server and your main office? Is there any inbound or outbound limitation settings on gateway server? · Please post “ ipconfig /all “ result of your problematic machine, gateway server and the main office DC here. · Please post ” route print” result of gateway server here. · Please using “nslookup” utility to check if domain resolve working correctly on your problematic machine and please post the result here. > Nslookup > set type=srv > <your domain name> · Using network monitor to check the connectivity between this problematic machine and main office DC server. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 5th, 2010 6:22am

Hi RLDSONM , If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 9th, 2010 11:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics