Cannot change properties of a VM Network

I'm trying to update the properties of a VM network so it can be removed I cannot because the Remote Access server (for a Windows Server gateway) cannot be contacted.  I'm trying to clean up after a bunch of testing.  The error is:

Execution of Microsoft.SystemCenter.NetworkService::UnregisterGatewayVMSubnet on the configuration provider 4ee559f1-f479-480c-9458-d14b8b1c1779 failed. Detailed exception: Microsoft.VirtualManager.Utils.CarmineException: Unable to update subnet information to the Remote Access server. (WinRM cannot complete the operation. Verify that the specified computer name is valid, that the computer is accessible over the network, and that a firewall exception for the WinRM service is enabled and allows access from this computer. By default, the WinRM firewall exception for public profiles limits access to remote computers within the same local subnet.)

Fix the issue in Remote Access server and retry the operation.

Check the documentation for the configuration provider or contact the publisher support.

ID: 21426

----------------------------

Ultimately the issue is I need to remove the VM Network *because* the RRAS/Gateway VM is no longer available.  However, VMM and the PowerShell cmdlets all seem to want to contact the RRAS/Gateway server to complete the removal of the VM Network.

Any ideas how to remove this obsolete VM Network?

Oh yes, this is with VMM 2012 R2.

- Mark

January 14th, 2014 5:03pm

Well, I had to rebuild the VMM system because I could not find a way to recover from this problem.

If anyone has ideas that would be great, but since the original system is gone I cannot add any additional information (beyond what I may have in my notes).

- Mark

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 15th, 2014 1:48pm

Well, I had to rebuild the VMM system because I could not find a way to recover from this problem.

If anyone has ideas that would be great, but since the original system is gone I cannot add any additional information (beyond what I may have in my notes).

- Mark

- Mark

Hi. I have been hitting the same message as you, and it is all because of all the dependencies associated with each other.

It is important to remove things in the right order, so that the objects will get "free" for dependencies. 

I usually do a cleanup through Powershell. If this doesn't work, I backup the database and perform a cleanup there as well (but be careful, as this might not be supported).

-kn

January 19th, 2014 1:16pm

Hi Kristian.

The problem in my case was the RRAS/Gateway system was no longer available.  Unfortunately, VMM still "wanted" to connect to it to complete the removal; regardless of the dependency order.  (BTW, I was trying to remove objects in the correct order.)

I expect VMM should be enhanced to allow objects, such as the ones I had, to be removed if the communication with the backing system fails.  Say, a warning/confirmation/force popup with the GUI, or something somilar for the various PowerShell cmdlets.

- Mark

January 20th, 2014 3:15pm

Hi Kristian.

The problem in my case was the RRAS/Gateway system was no longer available.  Unfortunately, VMM still "wanted" to connect to it to complete the removal; regardless of the dependency order.  (BTW, I was trying to remove objects in the correct order.)

I expect VMM should be enhanced to allow objects, such as the ones I had, to be removed if the communication with the backing system fails.  Say, a warning/confirmation/force popup with the GUI, or something somilar for the various PowerShell cmdlets.

- Mark

Hi Kristian.

- Mark

Hi Mark,

I have the same issue as you. I would really not like to start all over again with rebuilding VMM... :( 

I don't suppose you have any further insight into this issue?

I am just trying to delete a VM Subnet, but VMM is trying to connect to the (unavailable) Gateway VM RAS to verify something. I also used the powershell cmdlet (Remove-SCVMSubnet), but the error is the same...

Really not looking forward to starting over again...

December 9th, 2014 2:58am

Try to do next steps: open VM network properties, open connectivity tab, clear "connect directly to..", press button "View script", copy script to notepad. Add -Force key to last command, and execute script.

June 10th, 2015 9:43am

Try to do next steps: open VM network properties, open connectivity tab, clear "connect directly to..", press button "View script", copy script to notepad. Add -Force key to last command, and execute script.

• Proposed as answer by Richard Lucas Sunday, June 14, 2015 11:03 PM
June 10th, 2015 1:40pm

• Proposed as answer by Richard Lucas Sunday, June 14, 2015 11:03 PM

As per the above. The -Force key works for me every time.
June 17th, 2015 7:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics