Cannot change expired domain password. Must disable fingerprint device
Hi, I understand my issue is related to third party software, but perhaps someone may help. I have an HP laptop with fingerprint device. Unfortunately this device does not work with Microsoft Log on system (automatically without third party software), so I had to install HP Protect Tools to make it work. So I enrolled my fingerprints for domain logon and swiped my finger hapily, until my domain logon password expired. When I changed my domain logon password, I received a message at the log on screen: <message> Windows Security Your password has not been changed. The password that you entered would probably not work at the Pre-boot security level. If Pre-boot security is enabled, you should change your password now-before you log out or you may not be able to log back in during Pre-boot. </message> No matter which password I put in, I was bounced back to this message. I finally used workaround to escape this mess. I logged as a local admin user and uninstalled HP Protect Tools completely (loosing my enrolled fingerprint credentials for local logins and other applications, mostly log ins for web places). Some more info. I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise x64 I do not use Pre-boot security of any kind (BitLocker etc). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Les
February 1st, 2011 11:29am

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 08:29:35 +0000, Les52 wrote: I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise x64 I do not use Pre-boot security of any kind (BitLocker etc). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. This forum is for Windows Server security and not Windows client issues. You should either repost your question in a Windows 7 specific forum, or better yet, contact HP support since it is their product that you're having issues with. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca System going down at 5 pm to install scheduler bug.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2011 11:36am

Thanks Paul, I'm also using Windows 2008 R2 domain. The issue I described occurred on Windows 2008 R2 domain logon, so I supposed that this forum might have some experts who may have encountered this problem in the field.
February 1st, 2011 12:04pm

Hi Les52, We are not familiar with the HP ProtectTools. If the domain user password can be changed properly without HP ProtectTools, I suggest you contact HP support to confirm if it’s compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2 domain and if they have solution for this issue. Thanks for your understanding. Regards, BruceThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2011 9:38am

I have the same issue as Les, on a HP Probook 6550b with Windows 7 installed as well as the HP Protect tools. I have to change my keyboard locale to English (US) for my changed password to be accepted. Once I have changed the password I can change back to my default keyboard english (Irish). Hope this helps.
December 8th, 2011 10:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics