Cannot change Windows Update Settings on new 2008 R2 server
I just setup a brand new 2008 R2 server. It is running as a stand-alone server, not part of a domain. It is NOT configured to obtain updates from a WSUS server. I want to change the Windows Update settings to Install Automatically, but I am unable to change any settings--everything is greyed out. I am logged on as a local administrator. I see there have been plenty of posts on this question in this forum. However none of them seem to give a straightforward answer as to how to fix this issue. If someone could just tell me where to go in Group Policy management--or other location--to change this, I would appreciate it.
January 14th, 2011 11:29am

Hi, Please run rsop.msc to check if any Windows Update related policies have been configured. Usually, the following policy will be used to configure the Windows Update settings: [Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update: Configure Automatic Updates] Hope it helps. Regards, BruceThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 17th, 2011 7:40am

Hi, Have you tried the suggestions? If there is any update about this issue, please let us know. Have a nice day! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 20th, 2011 1:30am

Hi Bruce--and thanks for the reply! I have had to postpone my setup of this new server for a few days, but am going to resume it on Monday. However I will give your suggestion first try at the earliest opportunity, as it certainly seems like the most likely solution. I will most definitely post back as to how your suggestion works.
January 20th, 2011 9:33pm

Hi, Thanks for your reply. If there is any update or you need further assistance, please feel free to let us know. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 20th, 2011 9:41pm

I'm having this same issue on a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise server which is part of a domain. I can log in as either the local administrator or domain administrator and it makes no difference. When I go into group policy management, the "configure automatic updates" setting is enabled and set to option 3. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you, Monika
March 4th, 2011 12:04pm

Hi Monika, Where did you check the "configure automatic updates" setting that has been set to option 3? If you check it from a GPO in Group Policy Management and the GPO has been linked to the OU where the problematic computer locates, it is normal that the Windows Update settings on the client are grayed out. This is expected since user will be prevented from manually changing the deployed group policy settings. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
March 7th, 2011 1:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics