Cannot access printer properties
Hi everyone, Hope you can really help! I am new to Windows2008 R2. I just setup a 64bit 2k8 file and print member server. I have some problem on the printing. I created, shared and listed all the printers on the server, and the printers have both 32 bit and 64bit printer drivers. I connected one of the printers on the server from a computer. I could print to it too from the computer. Great!! However, I could not access to the printer properties from the computer. Then I logged on as a Domain Admin on the computer, which has all the previliges, but the result is the same. Hope you can really help as I really do not know what to fix. This is my first time having this kind of problem as I did not have any on the 32bit Windows2003 servers. Thank you very much! Ultrabobson
September 3rd, 2010 11:47pm

Do you get any errors or you just do not have admin access to the print properties of the connection you made?Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2010 1:08am

Hi, I would like to confirm the following questions first: 1. What is the accurate issue: the printer properties cannot be displayed, the printer properties can be displayed but they are grayed out or others? 2. Does this issue occur with all the printers? 3. Can you view the Security tab of the Printer properties? If so, please list what you can see. After researching from the Microsoft website, I find an article may be helpful for you if the “Access denied” error was encountered. You may check the Restrictanonymous setting to troubleshoot this issue. This issue can occur if the administrator sets the Additional restrictions for anonymous connections policy setting to the No access without explicit anonymous permissions policy setting in the Local Security Policy administrative tool. For more information, please refer to the following links: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280329 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246261 If this is not the case, would you please check the event log and let us know if any related error messages are logged? Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 6th, 2010 10:28am

Hi Both, Thank you very much to both help. I used both users and domain admin account to see the properties but failed to do so. With the "users" account they should be access to the properties. To answer the questions above: 1.) No, I could not see any access anything at all. There is just a windows popup and saying Acess Denied. Therefore, I could not even see any content (grey out) in it at all. 2.) Yep, to all the printers on the 64bit 2k8 server. 3.) No, according to #1 I just put down, I could not access to any tabs in the properties. I could only see "Acess Denied" window. Any ideas how to fix it? I worked on many W2k3 servers and I did not have any problems like this before. Thank you very much!! Bobson
September 7th, 2010 6:15pm

Hi Arthur, I read thru the two articles you posted. I tried to local the settings in Local Security on my 2k8 but I could not find them. Thank you for your help (again)! Takusan
September 7th, 2010 6:50pm

How are you setting up the printers? Add Printer, script, migration? What are the default print server security settings. This is on the Security tab of the server properties from Print Management Everyone Print, View Server Creator Owner Manage Documents Administrators All Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
September 7th, 2010 9:03pm

Hi, Would you please log onto the printer server and list the printer permissions in your post? You may also try the following steps to backup and modify the RestrictAnonymous registry value: Use Registry Editor to backup the following registry key, and then add the following value to this key, or modify it if the value already exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA Value: RestrictAnonymous Value Type: REG_DWORD Value Data: 0x2 (Hex) Restart the computer after any change to the RestrictAnonymous key in the registry. To backup a registry key: ================= 1. Locate and click the key or subkey that you want to back up. 2. Click the File menu, and then click Export. 3. In the Save in box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy to, and then type a name for the backup file in the File name box. 4. Click Save. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 8th, 2010 12:21pm

Hi everyone, Thank you very much for your help to reply to me. I am sorry if there are any delays on my response. I have been overwhelm recently. I will try the suggestion and keep you posted! Thank yoU very much! Takusan
September 13th, 2010 5:08pm

Hi Alan, Arthur, Thank you very much again for your help. I followed what Arthur suggested and modified the registry. It did not work. I really did not know what to do then. Finally I decided to wipe it out AGAIN!!! What I did is to back up the printers and used TrueIxxx to backup the whole server first in case I needed "it" back. After setting up the exact same W2k8 server, and join it to the domain first. I tried to "reimport" all the printers I setup. I got some errors...something could not be found. I thought I was going to get the same result. But for some reason~~ now I could see the Printer Properties!! Weird!!! I compared the imported printers, and I found that there were couple of the Xerox and Toshiba printers/copiers missing. But after recreating it, the print server is still running good. I really do not know what differences I have made this time with W2k8, and 64bit.... But for sure I never run into so much trouble with W2k3 print server before... No matter what, thank you very much for your help!!! Takusan
September 14th, 2010 7:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics