Cannot access Sharepoint from client

Hi everyone,

I've newly installed Sharepoint 2013 on a Windows Server 2012, with a  MS SQL Server 2012.

Now, accessing Sharepoint site directly from the server work fine, but accessing it from a client doesn't work, I get this error:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

I know they are few topics on the subject or similar ones, but none of them helped, so I'm probably missing something...

Here are some information about my Application:

• My Sharepoint App is installed on port 80
  • It has one binding:  Type: http, Host Name: empty, Port: 80, IP Adress: All Unassigned
  • Anonymous and Windows Authentification are enabled
  • They are 2 User Policies in the Central Administration for my application:

NT Authority\Local Service with permissions Full Read
Search Crawling Account with Full Read and Full Control,

Please let me know if you need more information!

Thank you.

May 29th, 2013 2:19pm

Hi ,

Could you ping the URL and see if you are getting the response back ?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2013 3:05pm

Hello

Is there  a reason why you're not defining a host header?  Also, do you have name resolution in place?  (DNS record , hosts file etc) 

May 29th, 2013 3:06pm

Hi Murali,

yes, i get a response (with the IP) back. 

Another info: I'm using the Fully Qualified Name to access the site.

And I don't know why, but now when I call the URL I get asked for my Credentials and after entering them I get a "The webpage cannot be found"...I've been doing some IIS Resets though.

May 29th, 2013 3:11pm

Hello

Is there  a reason why you're not defining a host header?  Also, do you have name resolution in place?  (DNS record , hosts file etc)

May 29th, 2013 3:30pm

Try adding the SharePoint URL to trusted sites in Internet Options - Security. 

Else, you may not have given permission to other users to access the site. Add users when logged in via the server by going site settings - site permissions. Maybe try logging in to a workstation as the same user you are logged in as on the server to identify if its permissions based on user, or whether its linked to workstation config or access.

Sounds like you're almost there!

May 29th, 2013 9:40pm

Hi everyone,

sorry to for this late answer, i was dealing with this issue with Microsoft Support.

The trusted sites in Internet Options didn't do the trick...

Maybe before I explain the soltion in my case, a little information I haven't said before. The sharepoint server and the client machine (i use to access sharepoint sites) are not in the same domain, and i was using the fully qualified name of sharepoint to access it from the client machine.

So what i needed to do is adding another mapping in the Alternate Access Mappings (Alternate Access Mapping from Central Administration Application Management Configure alternate access mappings):

Internal URL = the sharepoint url (with FQN)

Zone = Extranet

Public URL for Zone = the sharepoint url (with FQN)

That did the trick.

June 25th, 2013 12:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics