Cannot Remote Desktop into Windows 2008 Server
I have the full server installed Windows 2008 - I've enabled remote connectiond on the 2008 Server( allow any version to connect ) The firewall is turned off The machine I am trying to remote desktop FROM is on the same network subnet as the 2008 server machine I was under the impression that two concurrent remote logins for administrative purposes were allowed with out having to purchase additional CAL's I am UNABLE to Remote Desktop in from any machine whether it be XP, Vista or 2003 Server ( error message just says client was unable to connect to machine ) Yet I can ping the server just fine. WHat am I missing here???.. PLease help Thanks
April 4th, 2008 1:44pm

Did you enable Remote Desktop on the Server? Did you put the user id in the Remote Desktop Users group on the Server? (Not required for users in the Administrators group). tgc
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 4th, 2008 6:18pm

Hi, Please check if the user account you use to log on Windows server 2008 is a member of remote desktop users as Tim suggested. Generally speaking, terminal service listens on the 3389 port. Please let the customer run the following command from a client to see whether the 3389 port is reachable: telnet server_ip 3389 If the connection is successfully, a blank window will be opened. If you cannot connect to the 3389 port, there are several possibilities: The packet may be blocked by the firewall or router. Please double check the firewall settings on the client, the server and any intermediate devices. Also, please check the item of Group Policy in gpedit.msc->computer configuration-> security settings->Local policies-> Users Rights assignment -> Deny log on through terminal servers. Does the user you use to log on Windows server 2008 is under the Deny list? If this issue still persists, please post back with the detail error message that pop-ups when you log on terminal server and test the result if you use RDC to log on locally. More information about enabling Remote Desktop connections using the Server Manager console, perform the following steps: ====== 1. Open Server Manager. 2. On the Server Summary pane, click Configure Remote Desktop. 3. Select one of the following options: 1). Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop Used if any remote clients will be using the Remote Desktop Connection 5.x client application. 2). Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with NLA. Used if all remote clients will be using the Remote Desktop Connection 6.x client application. 4. In the Remote Desktop section, click Select Users 5. In the Remote Desktop Users dialog box, click Add. 6. Add the users that will be allowed to remotely connect to the server. I hope this helps. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che
April 7th, 2008 5:18am

I followed all the steps above, but it fails in the 6th step as it does not allow me to add a new location.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 21st, 2009 6:59pm

Please disable Firewall and check manage will make sure you have rights of Group administrator and enable remote setting
July 4th, 2012 3:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics