Cannot Publish Web App to Azure VM from VS 2013

I inherited a web app from another developer, that has been previously deployed to an Azure VM I have access to.

When I try to invoke his publishing profile to publish the web app to the Azure VM, I get the error:

Connected to <<our url>> using the Web Deployment Agent Service, but could not authorize.

Make sure you are an administrator on <<our url>>.. ERROR_USER_NOT_ADMIN.

How do I fix this? Is there a way to fix this in the Azure dashboard? I'm listed as co-administrator on the client's subscription. When I go to the VM, there's no place to tie accounts with roles on the VM and there's no place to reset the password.

I'm fairly certain the username I'm attempting to connect with is correct, but I wonder if the password might have expired or been locked. 

February 17th, 2015 1:10pm

Hi Bob,

From your description, It seems that this is a authentication issue. When we deploy website on Azure VM, we need use the VM's username and password or you may have installed the VM certificate. For this error message, I suggest you can follow this resolution to fix it.        

Error Code

Error    Message

Diagnosis

Resolution

ERROR_USER_UNAUTHORIZED

Connected to the destination computer   ("remote-server.com") using the Web Management Service, but could   not authorize. Make sure that you are using the correct user name and   password, that the site you are connecting to exists, and that the credentials   represent a user who has permissions to access the site.

This error code can surface because   of a number of different reasons. It typically indicates an authentication or   authorization problem, and can happen because of any of the following reasons:   1) User does not exist 2) User does not have IIS Manager access to site if   connecting using Web Management Service 3) Site does not exist 4) Password is   incorrect

If connecting using the Web   Management Service: 1) Verify that the username and password are correct 2)   Verify that the site exists 3) Verify that the user has IIS Manager   Permissions to the site's scope 4) If connecting using the Remote Agent   Service: 5) Verify that the username and password are correct 6) Verify that   the user account you specified is a member of the Administrators group on the   remote computer. NOTE: Because of a bug in Web Deploy 2.0, the user must be   either the built-in Administrator or a member of the Domain Administrators   security group. Attempts to sync with any other user account, even if it is   an administrator, will see this error code. 7) Verify that the site exists

ERROR_USER_NOT_ADMIN

Connected to 'remote-server.com'   using the Web Deployment Agent Service, but could not authorize. Make sure   you are an admin on 'remote-server.com'.

This happens if you try to connect to   the Remote Agent Service but have not provided appropriate administrator   credentials.

The Remote Agent Service accepts   either built-in Administrator or Domain Administrator credentials. Because of   a bug in Web Deploy, any other administrator credentials (e.g. member of the   local Administrators group) will not work and will cause this error.

Any questions about this issue, please let me know.

Regards,

Will

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 18th, 2015 2:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics