Cannot Login to Server 2003
I have a client with a Server 2003 system that will not allow a login (local or domain).When a user name and password are entered the Loading personal settings message appears for a sec. then loops back to "press CAD to login" box again. The Server is running fine otherwise and all shared folders are accessible.Any thoughts as to what is causing the Hang up? Thanks,Chris
December 26th, 2008 11:19pm

Hello, Please restart your computer press F8 and then select Safemode. After entering the login credentials in the safe mode then.1. Click Start->Run...->type msconfig and press Enter2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services.3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items4. Click OK and choose Restart5. After reboot, check whether the problem still occurs.Thanks Syed Syed Khairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 27th, 2008 1:50am

Hi,Did you use the Administrator account to logon? If so, as Syed suggested, please test in Safe Mode first. If we cannot log into system in Safe Mode, we may have to repair the system or perform Clean Install to solve this issue. If the system still cannot allow login after disabling all startup items, lets try to check system files. 1. Boot into Safe Mode. Insert your Windows 2003 CD, click Start, click Run, type "sfc /scannow". 2. If no error was found, please help to collect the following information for research.a. When did the issue start to occur?b. Is there any software or hardware installed on this system?To perform In-Place upgrade, you can refer to the following KB:816579 How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows Server 2003http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;816579 Thanks.
December 29th, 2008 1:20pm

My problem might be related.I cannot login to myWindows 2003 Server either (Enterprise, x64, with latest service packs and security updates).Only instead of the login screen showing, I get a blue screen with REGISTRY_ERROR, stop 0x51.Is it possible that a recent security update did this? The problem seems to be more related to the login process than a registry problem. I can open the registry remotely, and load user hives with no problems.If I don't try to login, the server will run all day with no problems. File sharing, DFS, DNS, WINSand directory services operate normally.I have run chkdsk and esentutl from a WinPE prompt. The same NTUSER.DAT loads with no problems on Windows XP x64. I tried logging in remotely with RDC,same BSOD. I tried creating a new user and logging in, same BSOD.I'll try sfc as you suggest and report back. The system will boot into safe mode or DS repair mode.If anyone thinks this is not related, please say so and I will open a new post.
December 30th, 2008 12:52am

Mervyn Zhang said: 1. Boot into Safe Mode. Insert your Windows 2003 CD, click Start, click Run, type "sfc /scannow". Thanks.Sfc will not run in safe mode. I get error 0x6ba, [The RPC server is unavailable.].The same with Safe Mode with Networking. I'll try msconfig.Later: BSOD after disabling all non-Microsoft software with msconfig.
December 30th, 2008 2:50am

Hi,I understand "REGISTRY_ERROR, stop 0x51" was encountered on one Server. I suggest you try the following hotfix first. You receive a "Stop 0x00000051 REGISTRY_ERROR" message when a corrupted user profile is loaded on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;907317 If the issue persists, please run "Chkdsk /r" to check disk in Safe Mode.If no error, please help to check if there is any unsigned driver. Run "Sigverif.exe" and save a copy of the log file. Send to tfwst@microsoft.com. Please also send a copy of System Information for research. Thanks.
December 30th, 2008 12:57pm

Thank you, Mervynfor your suggestions.I have checked the hard drives thoroughly from a WinPE prompt.I had found KB907317 previously. All my file versions are much higher, so I had dismissed the article. But I went ahead and downloaded the hotfix and tried to apply it. It said my service pack level was higher and exited.I went ahead and did an upgrade install after booting into Directory Service Repair Mode. This was the only way install could check the state of adprep.Now, at least I can boot and logon.However authentication with my other two servers is broken. Not only that but the other two servers(one of which is virtual) won't authenticate with each other.I guess I'll have to pick one and make it the only DC.Good thing this is just my home network and nothing really depends on it.
December 31st, 2008 10:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics