Cannot Delete a Cloud from SCVMM 2012

Morning everyone,

I'm using SCVMM 2012 v3.0.6019.0 and having problems removing some of the clouds that were automatically created for the self-service users.  These unnecessary clouds no longer have any services/vms/storage/resources assigned to them, and all user roles/owners have also been removed.  But when I try to delete the clouds (VMs and Services -> Right-click on cloud -> Delete) nothing happens.  The job is created, and says it ran successfully in 0 seconds, but there's no result name on the summary tab and no information under the Property / Previous Value / New Value table.

I've tried reassigning owners and creating VMs then deleting them, as well as using remove-sccloud in PS, but I have the same (no) result using PowerShell also.  Has anyone run in to this and know of a way to forcefully remove them?

Thanks in advance,

David

• Edited by DSage5 Friday, May 18, 2012 12:54 PM Changing title to better reflect the issue
May 15th, 2012 6:17pm

Hi.

Is this the rtm bits, or beta/rc?

If rtm - make sure that nothing is connected/associated with this cloud, including services/vms, user roles, libraries and so on.

Can you verify this?

In addition, run this cmd from Powershell: Get-SCCloud -VMMServer "VMMserver.domain.local -Name "Cloud" | Remove-SCCloud -Confirm

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2012 12:55pm

Hi Kristian,

Thanks for your reply and the suggestions.  This is RTM and I have confirmed there is nothing associated with or connected to the cloud.  I also ran that same PS cmd yesterday in PS after reading about it on a technet article, unfortunately it did nothing (same as the job in SCVMM.)  After hitting enter to run the cmd it immediately brought up a new prompt with no response, output, error, or exit code.

Here's my job in SCVMM, which looks pretty strange to me -- no result name, no property or previous/new value:

And here's the cloud overview.  I also went through tab by tab on the cloud properties to make sure nothing was assigned.  The only thing I couldn't remove was the association to the host groups -- that cannot be blank.

Thanks again for the reply.  Let me know if there are further troubleshooting steps I can take before I go poking around in the database -- ultimately it's just a visual problem, not a functional one, but I'd like to fix it if I can.

David

May 16th, 2012 3:34pm

Worth noting that I have actually 4 clouds, all created from Self Service Users at upgrade from 2008 to 2012, which all are exhibiting the same behaviour.  Any other thoughts?  I'd rather not have to set everything up again if I can possibly avoid it.

Thanks,

David

May 18th, 2012 4:05pm

Hello,

Can you check for DB?

In the DB can you query as follow that ; The Cloud is there or not?

(Please do not delete anything)

SELECT [ID]
      ,[Name]
      ,[Description]
      ,[LastModifiedDate]
      ,[Owner]
      ,[ParentCloudId]
      ,[IsPrivate]
      ,[CapacitySettingsID]
  FROM [SQL DATABASE NAME].[dbo].[tbl_Cloud_Cloud]

[SQL DATABASE NAME] must be your database name.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

May 18th, 2012 11:08pm

Hi Murat,

Thank you for the reply.  I've run the query you provided and confirmed the clouds are present and can also pull the same using the PS cmdlet Get-SCCloud.

Thanks.

David

May 18th, 2012 11:38pm

I am also facing the same issue with RTM .
May 25th, 2012 5:38pm

We are experiencing the same issue.  We have the update rollup 1 applied.  There is only one cloud which can't be deleted.  Newly created clouds can be deleted instantly.
July 20th, 2012 4:07pm

Has anyone seen a solution for this. Built a new VMM 2012 SP1 server and built out clouds based on the ones in my SP1 Beta environment. I consolidated clouds and now want to delete some. I have the same symptoms as above in which all resources and dependencies have been removed/unassigned and ran scripts to delete but nothing happens. Job says it completed successfully, but no change.

Upon researching in the database, it appears that even though vms were migrated to different clouds, there were linked columns in tables referencing the CloudID from tbl_Cloud_Cloud and prevented the removal of the cloud because of it. However, no errors ever get displayed about the failed removal attempt.

• I went into the tbl_CloudCapacity and removed the row that referenced the CloudID since that clouds capacity wasn't needed.
  • I went into the tble_RBS_UserRoleQuota and removed rows that had a matching ScopeID.
  • I went into the tbl_WLC_PhysicalObject and modified any matching rows with CloudID to be the cloud the actual object was moved to.

After cleaning up those tables I restarted VMM service and went in and everything appeared happy. I then deleted the cloud from the console and it removed as expected. This worked from me, but edit the database at your own risk.

Better option would be to have MS fix the function so that it cleans up the linked physical objects when they are moved and that the other are removed during the cloud removal since they won't be needed when the cloud isn't there.

• Edited by JCondo Monday, February 04, 2013 8:17 AM more testing on solution
  • Proposed as answer by M FawziModerator Saturday, February 09, 2013 10:55 PM
  • Marked as answer by DSage5 Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:23 PM
February 4th, 2013 9:41am

Thank You JCondo,

cleaning up the tables worked for me.

btw: SCVMM 2012 SP1 Version: 3.1.6018.0 (German)

May 8th, 2013 3:00pm

I ended up wiping the DB awhile back and starting from scratch because of some other data issues -- I had to edit the database too often for my liking -- but appreciate the research and answer which has apparently worked for others.

Thanks,

David

May 8th, 2013 3:25pm

This was the issue. I had no clouds left since I was just cleaning it out and starting from scratch so changed all CloudID to NULL and was able to delete the Cloud after restarting the VMM service. Thank you!
February 21st, 2015 10:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics