Cannot Access any files on windows 2008 server unless using admin user
Hey Guys, I have a problem, hopefully someone can help.Well actually I have two of them:1. I just installed the server and it is set up as a domain. I have workstations in the office that I don't want to be a part of the domain, but I still want them to access certain files. When I go to run and type in \\ip of server a box pops up saying please enter name and pw... any password I type will not work, even if the user is an administrator. The only user that will work is the Administrator user himself. Do you guys know what could be causing this problem>Thanks!The 2nd problem is that I cannot connect to the server through RDp. It is enabled, and there is an exception in both the firewall software and the physical router. What else can cause this?Thanks so much for your help!
March 19th, 2009 6:21am

Hi Jrisman, Based on the research, when we want to access a file sharing on a domain computer from a computer in the workgroup, as the workgroup computer is not a security descriptor in the domain, so the domain considers it as an unauthorized computer in the domain. Thus, the computer cannot pass through the domain authentication for the computer account. In this way, we can only be trusted by the domain via providing the Administrator credential when we have to access the file share in the domain. For the second question, to remote connect to the server via RDP, there are several presupposition that we may need to achieve. 1. The remote desktop is enabled or the terminal services is installed on that server. 2. We may have to provide a user account which is a member of the Remote Desktop Users group on that server. (Administrator can connect to the server by default) 3. Remote Desktop is checked in the Exception list of Windows Firewall on that server. 4. You have to provide valid Terminal Service license to the client after the grace period time expires. Besides, if the terminal server implements IPSec policy for authentication purpose in network layer, at the meantime, the workgroup computer doesn't implement the IPSec policy. Thus, we might also cannot connect to the server via RDP because the client cannot pass the authentication in Network level. In this case, to isolate the cause of the issue, could you please describe the scenario in detailed? What error message can you see when you cannot connect to the server via RDP? Please take screenshot of the error message that you can see and then send to tfwst@microsoft.com Hope the information can be helpful. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2009 10:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics