Cannot Access Manage PowerPivot Data Refresh

After working properly for some time, I recently started encountering Could not load type
'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin.DataRefresh.ViewDataRefreshHistory' when attempting to access Manage PowerPivot Data Refresh from a library containing excel spreadsheets with pivot tables. SharePoint is able to refresh the spreadsheets, but will not let me see the configuration page for the spreadsheets or the refresh history. However, if I click
Default PowerPivot Service Application in central administration, the PowerPivot Management Dashboard shows the table Data Refresh - Recent Activity

Does anyone know a solution for this failure or why it is occurring?

I have

• rebooted sharepoint server
  • verified that application pools are running
  • verified that service account users have access to the sql server\powerpivot instance
  • stopped and started the SQL Server PowerPivot System Service in central administration

I have not been able to deactivate PowerPivot Integration Feature in central administration. I get an error when attempting to do so.

someone suggested:

"Check the solutions (Central Admin > System Settings > Manage farm solution) and confirm both powerpivotfarm.wsp and powerpivotwebapp.wsp are both deployed."

In addition to not having the navigation path mentioned, I do not know how to verify that either of the items is deployed. I have access to central administration, but do not have visibility to low level artifacts such as powerpivotfarm.wsp and powerpivotwebapp.wsp. I do have access to Manage farm features.

[update] - I believe that get-spsolution provides the desired information and the appropriate wsp are deployed though the ones provided above are incorrect. there will be 3 wsp for sp2013.

the spreadsheets in question do not use the sql server powerpivot instance. they use a cube on another server. data is retrieved and refreshed (as noted above).

one quirk on the sharepoint wfe is that visual studio 2010 shell (isolated) fails with the dreaded invalid license error when I try to open ViewDataRefreshHistory.aspx.

environment is sp2013 sp1 enterprise, farm, sql server 2012 r2.

For those interested, the full message captured by uls is:

Getting Error Message for Exception System.Web.HttpParseException (0x80004005): Could not load type 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin.DataRefresh.ViewDataRefreshHistory'. ---> System.Web.HttpParseException (0x80004005): Could not load type 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin.DataRefresh.ViewDataRefreshHistory'. ---> System.Web.HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load type 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin.DataRefresh.ViewDataRefreshHistory'.   
 at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetType(String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnError)   
 at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessInheritsAttribute(String baseTypeName, String codeFileBaseTypeName, String src, Assembly assembly)   
 at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.PostProcessMainDirectiveAttributes(IDictionary parseData)   
 at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessException(Exception ex)   
 at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding)   
 at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding)   
 at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding)   
 at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath)   
 at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse()   
 at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType()   
 at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider)   
 at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders()   
 at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild()   
 at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath)   
 at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)   
 at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)   
 at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound)   
 at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp)   
 at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)   
 at System.Web.HttpApplication.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()   
 at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously

• Edited by tony bonn 2 Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:45 PM
April 23rd, 2015 3:27pm

the solution turned out to be quite easy once I understood the term retract (as opposed to deactivate). the problem was that the powerpivotwebapplicationsolution.wsp became undeployed (without any rational explanation, and working well for 3-4 months).

to solve, go to central administration, click System Settings, click Manage farm solutions under Farm Management. Click powerpivotwebapplicationsolution.wsp which was undeployed. then click the Deploy link at the top of the descriptive and configuration information.

• Marked as answer by tony bonn 2 15 hours 13 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 24th, 2015 12:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics