Can the Get-DFSRBacklog PowerShell script be used on the Windows Server 2012 (non-R2) platform ?

Hello experts,

I have setup DFSR between two Windows Server 2012 servers a few months ago and I recently ran into issues with files not being copied and missing files.

It is my understanding that there is a known limitation for the DFSRDIAG BACKLOG command and that the Get-DFSRBacklog PowerShell script available at the TechNet Script Repository  (http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/dac62790-219d-4325-a57b-e79c2aa6b58e#content) should be able to overcome the first 100 file names limit, although the script has been verified up to the Windows Server 2008 R2 platform.

Would you give it a try out on the Windows Server 2012 even if it has not been verified on this (Non-R2)?

Thank you again for your support.

Massimiliano

January 13th, 2014 5:35am

Hello Massimiliano,

from what I could see of the linked script, it only uses read queries. If it indeed only performs read Operations, it should be safe to use. It may not work, but it should not do any harm either. I'd recommend going over the script with an eye to the detail, to make sure it doesn't change anything. Thereafter, you may just want to go ahead and give it a try, manually verifying the results.

Usually, scripts are not validated as working for some systems, because the author doesn't have that system at hand to do that testing (At least when it comes to new systems. Use basic logic and do not try to run a powershell script on Win2k ;) ).

Cheers,
Fred

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2014 8:19am

Hello Fred,

thank you for your reply.

I'm not a powershell expert, but based on my understanding this PowerShell script should only perform read rperations against Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) to retrieve DFSR backlog for replication groups of a targeted server, so agree that it should be safe to use.

I will give it a try out on Windows Server 2012 late this afternoon and report back the results.

Massimiliano

January 13th, 2014 8:32am

Hello Fred,

I just gave it a try out on Windows Server 2012, however it doesn't do nothing (no errors, no output).

Do you have any ideas Any ideas on the possible troubleshooting steps for this issue ?

Massimiliano

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2014 1:45pm

Hi,

Have you posted on the QandA tab? That's most likely going to be your best avenue of contacting the script's author.

January 13th, 2014 1:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics