Can only browse network by IP when using VPN
Hi Everyone I have setup a VPN on Server 2008 Standard. I have set 2 PPTP ports. I havent setup a DHCP on the server but instead used a static address pool of 10.0.0.251 to 10.0.0.253. When I connect to the VPN from a client machine (xp), everything seems to work ok as I'm given one of the IP in the range. The only problem I have is when trying to browse the shared network folders. On the client if I use \\sage (server name is sage) in a browser I get an error. But If I type 10.0.0.15 (server ip) it works and the folders show up. What could be the problem? Thanks
June 11th, 2010 6:25pm

This appears to be a name resolution issue. When you connect via VPN, on the client, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL. Look at the DNS and WINS settings. Are they correct for your internal network? Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 11th, 2010 8:18pm

Name resolution issue. Do you have proper DNS and WINS configuration? If you are using static IP address make sure to use the correct DNS server IP address. Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 11th, 2010 8:45pm

Ive set up DNS on the server. I havent setup WINS. Do I need to set that up? I thought WINS was for older systems? I did a ipconfig /all on the client. This is what I got. Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.253 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.253 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.15 10.0.0.15 is the server. As you can see it says my IP is 10.0.0.253 and gateway is 10.0.0.253, is that where the problem lies? should gateway and my ip be the same? Also the server is a DC
June 11th, 2010 10:31pm

the configuration appears to be correct (for a VPN client). Have you verified that you actually have a dns record in place for "sage". No, WINS is not required. Just checking to see if you had it currently integrated into your network. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 11th, 2010 10:52pm

Using just the server name requires that there is an entry for it in DNS (as Jorge pointed out). It also requires that the client supplies the correct DNS suffix. If sage fails but sage.mydomain.lcl (or whatever your FQDN is) succeeds, you need to add the DNS suffix to the connection properties of the VPN client. Your gateway is the same as the received IP address because a VPN connection is a point to point connection. A pont to point does not require a gateway setting like a LAN connection does. All traffic will automatically be deliverd to the other end of the point to point, which from the client's point of view is the server. In effect, the connection is its own gateway. In Windows 7 the gateway is shown as blank or 0.0.0.0, but it still works. A pont to point does not need a gateway address. Bill
June 12th, 2010 4:10am

Where do I need to add the DNS entry exactly? in the hosts file or in forward lookup zones?? thanks
June 14th, 2010 9:55pm

Hi, Please add the DNS entry in the forward lookup zones on DNS server. Also notice Bill’s suggestion about DNS suffix. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 15th, 2010 12:08pm

On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 General forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that Windows Server 2008 R2 General forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum. Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 15th, 2010 12:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics