Can only access home shared folder using IP address
This one is baffling me to no end. I create users all day long and setup their home folders to point to a network share. And all day long these users are able to access their network home folder. I have one user who can not. I have removed and added the user account several times and still no luck accessing the home folder. If I use the IP address of the server, \\192.168.1.50\home\username, I can get to it, but if I use the servername, \\fileserver\home\username, I can not. I logged into a different computer with that username and everything works fine, so there is something on this paticular PC that is not allowing access. I can get to any other share on any other server, including other shares on the home directory server, just not the home share. I tried removing the PC from the domain, changing its name, and rejoining. I also, flushed dns, checked hosts file and all seems fine. Any help would be very much appreciated.
May 2nd, 2012 12:29pm

Here is the thing. If I go to \\servername in explorer I can access that server as well as any other folder on that server except for the Home share. I don't have an issue getting on the server itself using computername, just accessing the Home folder which is a shared folder on the root of the drive. All other shares I can get to. This happens to any user who logs into this machine. Everything on the network is available except for the Home share. This is only happening on this PC. Dis-join and re-join the problematic PC on to domain and see if that makes any difference.A UNIVERSE without WINDOWS is CHAOS ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 2nd, 2012 2:52pm

Here is the thing. If I go to \\servername in explorer I can access that server as well as any other folder on that server except for the Home share. I don't have an issue getting on the server itself using computername, just accessing the Home folder which is a shared folder on the root of the drive. All other shares I can get to. This happens to any user who logs into this machine. Everything on the network is available except for the Home share. This is only happening on this PC. Log on to problem machine as administrator and rename the user's profile to .old. This will help rule out profile corruption issues, which according to me is most likely in this case because only unique thing on that machine is user's profile as it works on other machines for the same user. Let me know the result! Sachin Gadhave (MCP, MCTS)
May 2nd, 2012 2:59pm

Have removed from domain and re-joined and still no success.
May 2nd, 2012 3:08pm

I went one step further and deleted all profiles from the PC. The only account on the computer was the local admin profile. I rebooted, logged into the domain and had it recreate the profile and still no success.
May 2nd, 2012 3:10pm

Do you see any errors in the event log? Have you tried disabling AV/firewall/Third party services on the machine? Any conflicting GPOs, scripts configured for this user? Sachin Gadhave (MCP, MCTS)
May 2nd, 2012 3:29pm

no luck with the NetBIOS. I really appreciate everyones input. This one really is odd.
May 4th, 2012 8:01am

Now its the time to trace packets using the Network Monitor tools like netmon or wireshark to troubleshoot the issue.http://www.arabitpro.com
May 4th, 2012 9:11am

Hello, sounds like DNS, please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the server and the client with problems.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
May 4th, 2012 12:37pm

Did you try using another users credentials on the problamatic system to check if the problem is for that particular user or for every one. In case it works with other credentials, you can recreate the users profileThanks and Regards, Mukesh. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
May 4th, 2012 1:22pm

Hi, As Weber said it might be DNS issue on that perticular client/workstation. 1.Run below command and try once. Start--->cmd--->ipconfig/flushdns 2. Restart DNS client service using services console or using below command. Start--->cmd--->net stop "dns client" && net start "dns client" Regards, Ravikumar P
May 4th, 2012 1:35pm

I can log into any other computer and the home drive is accessbile. Any user who logs into the PC having the issue can not access the home drive. So it tells me it is localized on this PC. I have done a dns flush and cycled the dns client on the PC and it did not resolve the issue.
May 4th, 2012 1:55pm

Just to make it sure can we using the hosts file Please edit the hosts file located in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and map it to the host name and check it how it goes ip Computername 192.168.1.50 Fileserverhttp://www.arabitpro.com
May 4th, 2012 2:09pm

This issue may occur because of a corrupted registry entry in the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters One of more of the following registry entries in this registry subkey may be corrupted: Domain Hostname NV DomainNV Hostname If Active Directory Service Location (SRV) resource records refer to the incorrect domain name, the domain controller cannot resolve the domain name. Because of this, Active Directory services may not work correctly. HTH Sachin Gadhave (MCP, MCTS)
May 4th, 2012 2:40pm

hosts file did not fix the issue
May 4th, 2012 2:41pm

Here is the thing. If I go to \\servername in explorer I can access that server as well as any other folder on that server except for the Home share. I don't have an issue getting on the server itself using computername, just accessing the Home folder which is a shared folder on the root of the drive. All other shares I can get to. This happens to any user who logs into this machine. Everything on the network is available except for the Home share. This is only happening on this PC.
May 4th, 2012 2:46pm

no event log errors. there is nothing on this machine other than the OS and MS Office. No scripts for the user. It is not user related. Anyone who logs into this PC is having the same problem. However, on any other PC, everything works fine. I can't believe but I may have to admit defeat on this one. I've asked in several forums and no one has been able to figure it out. I could just simply reinstall from scratch, but I like to figure things out and this one has completely gotten the best of me. Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in NIC advanced settings and try to access.Thanks !
May 4th, 2012 8:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics