Can not read anthing from the server console
I have a strange problem all lables on icons and in most sytem tools have graphic characters under them or on the whole screen. Example on task manager only processes are visable with some strange character s on the top bar. no access to other tabs. This is an applications server and all applications are working ok. The databases are fine. Since I can not see most of the screen I am not sure what to do. I have tried in safe mode same thing. I am new to servers not computers I am a retired engineer who worked in communications for the last 45 years. If you can help please do as I am LOST. I would like not to have to reload as that is a big job for me. Thanks again.
June 26th, 2012 2:32pm

Hello, Which version of server OS is installed on the problematic machine ? when you say 'console' are you using DRAC, ILO or IMM to connect the server ? could you pls post screen shot of the desktop ? Pls use the insert button to upload the screenshot looking at the problem description, at first glance I suspect this is a user profile corruption issue, recreating the user profile would likely to fix the things. To recreate a user profile, pls follow the steps below Log on with local admin account.Rename the affected user profile to say user.old (don't forget to backup favorites and anything important)Log on again with the desired user and restore backed up data. If recreating user profile doesn't help then you might want to run sfc /scannow from elevated cmd ( run as Admin if the server is 2008/R2) ThanksPress any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2012 3:08pm

That sounds great except I can not see any correct characters on the screen. I am using the screen that is attached directly to the server. Also if you type anything you get strange characters also. I even tried safe mode., same thing. I have not tried using any cmds from the cmd prompt.
June 26th, 2012 3:45pm

Could you pls reveal the Operating system running on the server ? Did you try recreating the user profile as mentioned in my previous post ? Server in question, is that a stand alone server or a member server which is a part of your domain ? Do you have any antivirus software installed on the server ? If answer is yes, I would suggest you to run a full system scan. Please share the requested details above so that appropriate troubleshooting steps can be suggested further ; without the details it's really hard to predict the things. ThanksPress any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
June 26th, 2012 4:16pm

Windows server 2008 R2 Standard
June 27th, 2012 11:03pm

Server is a standalone DC. I could not try as I can not see what I am doing. Thanks
June 27th, 2012 11:06pm

Please try following Right-click the desktop. Choose "Personalize." Click "Display" Click "Adjust ClearType Text" A window will pop up. Make sure its checkbox ("Turn on ClearType") is checked. Click "Next." Follow the prompts through the wizard, adjusting until the fonts look "right" again. Press any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
June 28th, 2012 12:09am

If ClearType text doesnt help then, try resetting fonts to default, pls follow the steps given below Open Fonts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts. Click on "Change Font settings". Click Restore default font settings. and click Ok. Press any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
June 28th, 2012 12:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics