Can not ping NetBIOS name?
Hi, We have several servers with very long Computer Name like sqlserver2-it-sa-conso.com, so the NetBIOS name should be sqlserver2-it-s (the prior 15 characters of computer name). I can ping both computer name and NetBIOS name in some servers, but can only ping computer name in some other servers. I am curious why I cannot ping NetBIOS as well? What is required to do if we need to access the server via NetBIOS? Thanks in advance.Alex Feng | SQL Server DBA, ALIYUN.COM My Blog | MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
October 16th, 2011 11:32pm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323388 this link may help youDarshana Jayathilake
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 17th, 2011 6:57am

Hi Bill, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is not enabled, and these two servers are not in the same subnet. We try to not use NetBIOS and use ComputerName/IP Address instead since NetBIOS name resolution is an NT legacy functionality. Thanks very much for your support.Alex Feng | SQL Server DBA, ALIYUN.COM My Blog | MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
October 17th, 2011 9:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics