Can not get SMART information of Disk connected thru Sil3132 HBA
Hello.I just found out that a disk or RAID connected to eSATA interface HBA with Silicon Image 3132, would not return SMART information on Windows Server 2003 and 2008.Silicon Image Driver Ver. 1.0.22.0I also checked, It would return SMART information of the disk for Windows 2000 and XP.For both server 2003 and 2008, they would return SMART information with out a problem, if they are connected thru mother board`s internal SATA interface, but not when connected thru above HBA.I tried maually throw SMART Enable command and even this would not go through.How can I getSMART information?Is there a reason thatSMART commandsare notsupported?Regards,Peter
March 11th, 2009 8:46am

Hi,Have did you get the SMART information? Please let us know the detailed steps.I suggest you try the following tool to check the result. Download Speedfan from the link below and install it.http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.Open it, switch to SMART tab, select your disk, could we get SMART information? Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 12th, 2009 12:15pm

Thanks for the information.However, it looks the problem is not the SMART info software.I wrote my-self a simple software to get and display disk SMART information before.And as I said with current settings even SMART enable command would not go thru.I heard it was same with Windows 2000 before but after certain point it was fixed by installing Service pack or somekind of patch.I am wondering if there is some kind of paremeter or registry settings that would change it. Or it is not possible at all.Peter
March 12th, 2009 12:26pm

Hi,Could you get the SMART info using SpeedFan? If not, is there any error? Its suggested to get the latest HBA driver to test. If the issue persists, please contact the hardware vendor to check if there is any change in their driver and whether the feature is supported for Windows Server 2003/2008.Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 13th, 2009 2:45pm

Hi,I just checked both the Driver and HBA`s BIOS are current.In case, I also checked with Window vista with UAC OFF, but was same results with 2003/2008.WhenSATA disks are connectedthru those kind of HBA it looks like Windows recognize the disk as an SCSI disk instead SATA. Is it possible either windows SCSI driveis refusing the SMART type commands?Peter
March 16th, 2009 9:39am

Hi,Which SMART functions were used to build your software? Please give me a MSDN link to that function or SMART command. At the same time, please try the following testing tool and let us know the result. SMART test utilityhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd327493.aspx Its also suggested to initial a new post in the MSDN form to get further support there. They are the best resource for development related problems. Changes in API or SDK mostly relates to them. For your convenience, I have list the link as followed.MSDN Forumhttp://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?SiteID=1 Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 17th, 2009 5:58am

Hi,For the SMART commands, not a single commandwould go through.Thanks for the information, I will look other way around.Peter
March 18th, 2009 6:00am

Bad news, Peter. It seems that Silicon Image does not care about SMART at all. For PATA controllers i had troubles with that ( CMD680 aka Sil0680 chip, Win NT 5.0, 5.1 - it worked just after just-detected by Win, and failed after drivers updates. Perhaps now updated Crystal Disk Info program with ATA-over-SCSIminiport can do it now). For SATA controllers you would only possibly get SMART for the 1st HDD, others would duplicate its SMART report. I hopes it was only when conencting number of SATA HDD's to single cable outlet, yet reported that one HDD per socket fails as well. I liked Silicon Image since times it was called CMD and had a relatively good support for PATA/ATAPI ODD, not HDD-only as other chipmakersdid. Since then Silicon Image was among my favourites. Seems to have to change my habits. Ditching SMART is not good thing IMHO. Especialy on the rise of e-SATA with high-speed external HDD boxes where concerns to temperature si a must :-( http://the-arioch.livejournal.com/1227.html
April 25th, 2009 2:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics