Can not connect to RD client by Name over a VPN from a different Domain
I have just setup Windows 2008 R2 Server VPN in another domain, and I am testing it from my domain. The subnets are different. I can connect to the VPN with no issue, but when I try to do a RD session by name to the target computer I get the error, "Remote desktop can not connect to the computer." then it gives possible three resaons. However, when I try by IPaddress it works like a charam. My laptop is not a member of thier domain, and I am wondering if this is the reason. I sure would like some expert help on this Rick Arnold Rick Arnold Arnoldconsult, MCP
December 15th, 2011 2:33pm

Hi Arnold, I guess U use client to site pptp VPN; On your computer go to adapter settings, right click the VPN connection, Go to Networking, TCP/IP v4, on the DNS ip adresses use the destination DNS server ip addresses, click advanced and add DNS suffix for the target domain like "internal.local" and ad the same for DNS suffix for this connection. Works everytime.MCTS - Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 15th, 2011 2:57pm

Hi Arnold, I guess U use client to site pptp VPN; On your computer go to adapter settings, right click the VPN connection, Go to Networking, TCP/IP v4, on the DNS ip adresses use the destination DNS server ip addresses, click advanced and add DNS suffix for the target domain like "internal.local" and ad the same for DNS suffix for this connection. Works everytime.MCTS - Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 15th, 2011 10:49pm

That worked, however I also had to clear the DNS cache for that to work. The weird thing is that I might might have clear it one or twice to make it work by name. I start the VPN connectoid, and then I clear the cache. I start RD and put the client computer name in. I might work the first time, or it might not. If it does not, I clear the cache, and then for some reason it works. Does anybody have any insights into this and why it does this? I need this soultion to work the first time. Also, I am having a strange issue with Windows 7 with the VPN. Windows XP connects every time but I get a 807 error, "Error 807: The network connection between your computer and the VPN server was interrupted ...", but windows XP going back to the same Windows 2008 R2 box does not have a problem connecting at. I would really appreciate some trouble shooting help on this! RickRick Arnold Arnoldconsult, MCP
December 18th, 2011 2:02pm

Glad to hear it worked, although the part with DNS flushing is not really ok. From my experience this is most of the time related to incorrect DNS configuration. The 807 error could be related to many factors for example firewall settings. Port 1723 is used for PPTP passthrough. Make sure that port is allowed on your Router/Firewall. Temporarily disable (if available) your antivirus solution. Remember to restart the RAS service after a modification for it to take effect. To further troubleshoot your issue please provide more information regarding your network topology. Servers, server roles,DNS zones (primary, AD integrated, secondary, etc) firewalls, LANs, etc. As a temporary solution to your problem, you could create a Group Policy Object and apply it using wmi filters to your Windows 7 computers. The GPO settings should contain a logon script (user settings) that runs "ipconfig /flushdns". The script can be a batch file. MCTS - Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 19th, 2011 2:48pm

I got the 807 Error corrected, my assistant put the wrong IP address in two of the test machines, now all the Windows 7 Machines VPN's connect to the Windows 2008 R2 server. However, I still have an issue where I can connect to the VPN with the windows 7, but can not connect by name to the target machine. I can connect by number but not by name. In XP, I could do this by flushing the cache, but that does not work here. I put the DNS address of the domain controller in the VPN client, the domain controller does DNS, DHCP and VPN unchecked ipv6, and put the metric to one. I also put the domain name the network in the DNS tab. I also tried to clear the DNS cache, but none of that worked. I really appreciate the help Thanks, Rick ArnoldRick Arnold Arnoldconsult, MCP
December 21st, 2011 3:46pm

If your server is a "multihomed" Domain Controller, then such a configuration is not supported by Microsoft, because o various issues , one of them is name resolution problems. If this is the case check out Ace Fekay's article for more information: http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/17/multihomed-dcs-with-dns-rras-and-or-pppoe-adapters.aspxMCTS - Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 21st, 2011 5:36pm

If your server is a "multihomed" Domain Controller, then such a configuration is not supported by Microsoft, because o various issues , one of them is name resolution problems. If this is the case check out Ace Fekay's article for more information: http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/17/multihomed-dcs-with-dns-rras-and-or-pppoe-adapters.aspxMCTS - Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 22nd, 2011 1:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics