Can not connect to Printers over VPN
HelloI have a setup where my clients are accessing a Citrix server over a VPN. I had one server setup and this is working fine, i can ping all the local printers in the office from the Citrix server which is on the end of a VPN. I have since installed another couple of servers (file and print and Citrix) and these servers can not connect to the local printers. They can ping the remote firewall at the end of the VPN but no printers. They can ping PC's that have a static ip address also but not ones that have been assigned to printers.I have been doing some tests and from one of the new servers i was pinging the address of a pc at the other end of the VPN (10.10.0.40) this was replying to the server (192.168.37.9) when this ip address was revoked from the server and given to a printer the ability to ping stopped.Also from my oringinal server that can ping everything, i was happily pinging the printer on 10.10.0.40, then i changed this to the IP address of the pc, still could ping this ip address. Changed this address back to the printer and then the ping's just timed out. It was not until i chose a new ip address for the pritner 10.10.0.43 that my server could ping once more.Still from my new servers i can not ping anything on the remote network apart from the firewall at the end of the VPN.I have checked my firewalls and there are no specific settings allowing traffic only to the oringinal server there are no settings denying access from any other servers . I was thinking that this could have been a routing issue but there are no static routes set on the working server compared to the servers that are not working. I am at a bit of a loose end with this one and therefore am pleeding for some guidence.I appriciate that there are a lot of factors in place here, new server builds, VPN but im convinced that this is IP related.Let me know your thoughtsGareth CollinsGareth Collins
July 31st, 2008 5:58pm

Hi, May I know what VPN technology you use? If for RRAS (Routing and Remote Access), please checkif the static pool was configured off-subnet? If so, since the request came off-subnet, the client would send the reply to the default gateway which would then pass it on or just drop the packet. Please test modify the internal client and let it point to the internal interface the VPN and test the result. If for other third-party products, I'd suggest you contact their support resource to address this issue. Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 1st, 2008 12:55pm

Thanks for the reply.We have Sonicwall Firewalls which have created the VPN. The issue is when i ping from 192.168.37.5 to 10.10.0.39 this is the process192.168.37.5 (server)192.168.37.1 (firewall)10.10.0.1 Firewall10.10.0.39 DeviceReply10.10.0.39 device10.10.0.1 firewallICMP Packet Dropped at 10.10.0.1Other sevrers and devices are fine i can ping 10.10.0.39 from 192.168.37.7 etc but for some reason it will not send the reply down the VPN back to 192.168.37.5I have opened a call with SonicWall, but just wondered if it could have been a server issue..Thanks for your timeGareth Collins
August 1st, 2008 1:09pm

Hi,Ok, if you have any undate from Sonicwall, please post here to benefit other communities.Hope this issue will be solved soon.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 5th, 2008 12:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics