Can login into server but ping is not responding
Hi All, I had a Fail over clustered server, it is primary node and after a reboot I can RDP into it but cannot ping it. I tried to ping with FQDN and with its IP address but cannot ping. No response for ping. There is a DNS record for it. Can someone help me out.
May 16th, 2011 2:27pm

Hello Waukegan. Review the configuration of the Firewall. Regards.Oscar Abad -- MCITP Enterprise Administrator // MCITP Server Administrator
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2011 2:30pm

Hi Oscar, Firewall was configured right, ICMPv4 is enabled and configured properly. Its working fine earlier but some networking teams are working on it and suddenly it went down.
May 16th, 2011 2:37pm

Hello, the OS version is unfortunate not posted here. So which one are you using? By default OS version higher then Windows server 2008 / Windows Vista have the firewall enabled and ICMP protocol is blocked by default, so no reaction on ping command.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
May 16th, 2011 2:38pm

Hi Meinolf, Its Windows server 2008 R2. When you say "firewall enabled and ICMP protocol is blocked by default", what should be done to unblock it or enable it. Please let me know how to solve this issue. Its working fine before and the networking teams rebooted it and suddenly its started this problem.
May 16th, 2011 2:43pm

Hello, Waukegan. I would recommend to turn off the firewall for a moment and prove the ping. If the ping result, the problem and solution is in the firewall. Thus you can discard other options. Regards.Oscar Abad -- MCITP Enterprise Administrator // MCITP Server Administrator
May 16th, 2011 2:43pm

Do you review all the profiles of the firewall?Oscar Abad -- MCITP Enterprise Administrator // MCITP Server Administrator
May 16th, 2011 2:44pm

Hello, open the Windows firewall advanced settings and check the outbound/inbound rules for File/printer sharing similar like: File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-Out)Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
May 16th, 2011 3:09pm

Hello, open the Windows firewall advanced settings and check the outbound/inbound rules for File/printer sharing similar like: File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-Out) Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Yes I did, they are installed and enabled. And the firewall rules are also in a good way and one of my colleague mentioned that he installed an application and it was failed . so he rebooted the server and we got this problem now.
May 16th, 2011 3:25pm

I am still working with this problem. Thanks Oscar and Meinolf for your replies.
May 16th, 2011 6:22pm

Hi, Kindly refer to the below kb knowledge article. Try the below command. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947709 Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!!
May 16th, 2011 9:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics