Can i make changes to .aspx files ?

when we need to add or edit a member on a entity, for columns with foreign key, we get a search box to look up the value. Here the default search is based on name. We want the code to be the default search column. I see that when i changed in the backend .aspx file and restarted IIS, the change happened and now the default search is code. I just want to know if there will be any impacts going forward ? may be during upgrades or migrations ?

Thanks in advance !

August 31st, 2015 9:42am

> I just want to know if there will be any impacts going forward ?

Any changes would be unsupported, may revert on an upgrade or may simply break after an upgrade.

David

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2015 11:14am

davidbaxterbrowne

Thanks David. If i revert my changes before going for an upgrade, do you think, that will avoid issues during upgrades ?

August 31st, 2015 2:15pm

You can go so far as to delete and re-create the web site whenever you want.  But, again, making changes to the MDS web site is not supported, so you're on your own.

David

August 31st, 2015 2:18pm

which SQL Server version are you using?

Are you using SQL Serve 2008? From SQL Server 2012, the DBA/Foreign key picker is hosted in sliverlight, which you can specify more complicated query on name/code and other attributes.

August 31st, 2015 2:29pm

I am using SQL Server 2008 R2
August 31st, 2015 2:47pm

>I am using SQL Server 2008 R2

Please consider upgrading to 2012 or 2014.  MDS in SQL 2012+ has a lot of improved functionality, and quite a few bug fixes were never back-ported to 2008 R2.

David

August 31st, 2015 5:53pm

Hi Swapna,

In your scenario, in order to make the code to be the default search column, you changed in the backend .aspx file and restarted IIS which works fine. Now you need to know if there will be any impacts during upgrades or migrations, right?

As David said, any changes would be unsupported. And it would lead some unpredictable issue. So it is not recommended to change the .aspx file. If you have any concern about this behavior, you can submit a feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback and hope it is resolved in the next release of service pack or product. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, Microsoft might consider to add this feature in the following release after official confirmation.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

September 6th, 2015 10:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics